What 50k$+ buys you...

spritzer

I'll likely get flamed for this because the price truly is outrageous, but those things look like heaven inside.

They anneal their own wire. It's probably not worth it, but it IS dedication. The material costs are astronomical, and I'll bet it sounds incredible. I've never had the opportunity to hear one, but I'd really like to.

The amp doesn't seem to follow the copper Faraday cage principle that the preamp does -- any reason you can think of?

Lowest signal level present is already line level (i.e., highest level in preamp), so maybe they thought the Faraday cage wasn't needed?

Silver transformers? uhhh, yeah... I'll bet those are expensive :eek:

silver transformers is nothing compared to custom silver foil inductors.. pricing is crazy on both. Electra Print offers a nice partial silver stranded secondary (PSSS) transformer option here:

Electra-Print.com Partial Silver Stranded Secondary Transformers

.. not that I've been considering it or anything :)

I went to the trouble of reading the specs breakdown on the Wavac. Long story short, under 1% THD it puts out 2 watts, not the claimed 150.

At listenable power, it's putting out 10% distortion, and not all of it the benign, tubey 2nd order distortion. Plenty of 7th order shit that sounds like what it is.

I'll wager the Lamm, lousy as it is, is still at least 30% as good as that nonsense.

I'd love to see some measurements on the Kondo, though.