Beer Reviews

The Monkey

As shown by our "What are you drinking now" thread, there are a fair number of beer drinkers here. So, without stealing that threads thunder, perhaps it would be cool to have a thread where we can compile more in-depth reviews on our favorite (and least favorite) beers. No need for anything fancy or formal. Sure beer advocate and such are good resources, but I like you folks better.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorites:

Rogue Dead Guy Ale -- a good "all-rounder", not heavy, not particularly hoppy, not adulterated with flavor, just something that I can almost always reach for when I want a beer.

Rogue Shakespeare Stout/Mocha Porter -- it's been so long since I've had either of these, and they're so close, that I honestly don't remember the difference. These are much heavier, so I tend to go for them during the coldest months. They hit me as having some maltiness and some dark chocolate & coffee undertones, with a fairly clean finish (considering what you were just drinking, it doesn't coat your mouth).

Budweiser -- tastes like someone figured out how to ferment water. retch

Anchor Christmas Blend -- just about the only flavored beer I like, just a perfect combination of spices to give it a "seasonal" flavor, without tasting fruity or whatnot (I think it's primarily nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and the like, perhaps some oats? not sure...). Again, a little on the heavier side, so not something I'd reach for every day, but really good. And don't ask me which year -- I know they change their recipe each year, but they're close enough together -- and my palette sufficiently insensitive -- that I don't really taste the difference.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

i love an awful lot of beer, but i keep going back to the Dogfish Head IPAs, Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, Affligem Tripel, La Fin Du Monde, Maudite, Mt. Carmel Stout, Rogue Dead Guy, Rogue Double Dead Guy, Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout, Great Lakes Burning River, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, Great Lakes Nosferatu and Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold (Great Lakes Brewing makes some fucking good beer), Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Sam Adams Black Lager, Hoegaarden, Chimay Blue, Arrogant Bastard, and a couple old favorites like Guinness and Pilsner Urquell.
So you keep going back to a long list of beers -- probably more different beers than I've had in my entire life.

We don't get the same selection of beers down this part of the world and most of what's brewed locally are pale lagers which are fine occasionally but not all the time. There's very few US beers sold and the only one I see consistently available is Budweiser (entirely flavorless to me). I'd love to try some of the Dogfish and Great Lakes varieties, but I've never seen them sold locally.

Out of what is available here I tend to favor some of the Belgian beers. Hoegaarden, Chimay Blue, Saison Dupont, Forbidden Fruit, Trappistes Rochefort 10 and KWAK are probably the favorites there. Reasonably fond of an ice cold Sapphoro or Hofbr

We must be lucky, we have stores and bars here that sell more varieties than you could try in a lifetime (e.g. Brickskeller).

Then stop whining and start drinking more beer.
(a) can't, (B) not whining, just making an observation. I just thought it was funny that he said, "I've tried others, but keep going back to...", and then listed more beers than I've tried in my lifetime.

It would be sort of like me saying, "oh, I've tried other bands, but keep going back to..." and then listing every band you've ever heard.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I drink almost entirely locally. Colorado has a real profusion of quality microbreweries, and most of them are fairly cheap.The selection varies enough that I tend to drink by variety rather than brewery.

I also have little idea how much Colorado beer is available elsewhere in the country (save fat tire, ofc) so name dropping here would likely do no good.

I drink almost entirely locally. Colorado has a real profusion of quality microbreweries, and most of them are fairly cheap.The selection varies enough that I tend to drink by variety rather than brewery.

I also have little idea how much Colorado beer is available elsewhere in the country (save fat tire, ofc) so name dropping here would likely do no good.

I would like to hear some good ones. I've seen a decent number of Colorado brews available here.

I am a big fan of the Dogfish Head IPAs, the 90 minute in particular. However, the 120 is just too much. It tasted like apricots soaked in alcohol and then added to flattish ginger ale. I wouldn't say it was horrible. The first 2 sips were even interesting. But the rest of the bottle was a chore.

But, yes, I finished the bottle.

I am a big fan of the Dogfish Head IPAs, the 90 minute in particular. However, the 120 is just too much. It tasted like apricots soaked in alcohol and then added to flattish ginger ale. I wouldn't say it was horrible. The first 2 sips were even interesting. But the rest of the bottle was a chore.

But, yes, I finished the bottle.

Yeah that was pretty much my exact experience with the 120. I'll definitely give it another shot when I am more in the mood for a rip your head off IPA.

Dogfish Head 60 is one of my favorites. The 75 Dan turned me on to at the Alehouse was excellent as well. The 120 is not one of my favorites. I've been drinking a lot of Stone IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard and Arrogant Bastard Oaked now that it is available locally. All good stuff. I really like the AB. I've also been drinking Sweatwater 420 which is out of GA. This is one that is always available at the Langerado Music Festival. Now if only Bear Republic was available here. The Racer 5 and Hop Head Rye are excellent.

I'm a big fan of the Celebrator Double Bock. It's not cheap but worth the price, imo. Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is another favorite.

mikkeller-black-hole-11-4-2008-12-14-18-am.jpg

this was a standout beer for me, Al and I enjoyed this the other night at the Trappist in Oakland. Wonder burnt grain flavor mixed with coffee and hint of licorice. I thought it hid it's 14% well and this could be a dangerous beer, drink with caution. I had this after a few Belgian Grand Cru beers and paid the price the following day.

If you like Russian Imperial Stouts and can find a bottle I highly recommend it. I may pick up a few to lay down for a year.