Speaker Amp recommendation

DigiPete

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having built a Dynamite with all the requisite case/heatsink work, I am not daunted at all.

But.... how would the Class Ds sound against any of the aformentioned amps??

Don't want a bright amp.... but transparent, neutral, and sweet highs.

Probably want 200w into 8 ohms... ish

Listening to the rig through an Adcom 5400 I borrowed from a buddy, so far I like it.

Hard to place what its doing over and above the Denon receiver.... subtle

The sound seems more whole, bass is a bit better, less digital sounding overall, nice placement. has a tiny bit of a buzz though... I'll have to play with cables and placement of power cords to see if I can improve.

The thing is f'ing tank. Gargantuan torroid in it, about three times the size of whats in the Denon 3808 receiver.

This makes me think a seperate amp is definitely going to be in the cards for my speaker rig.

Odyssey Stratos should be doable for under $700; check Audiogon and ebay. You should be able to get the balance of the 20 year warranty. I've had mine for 5 years at least. One of these has survived Reks for a few months so far, minus a blown fuse incident... :eek:

Odyssey Stratos should be doable for under $700; check Audiogon and ebay. You should be able to get the balance of the 20 year warranty. I've had mine for 5 years at least. One of these has survived Reks for a few months so far, minus a blown fuse incident... :eek:

How would you and Reks characterize the sound signature of this one?

Looks intriguing.

Odyssey uses a licensed design from the German Symphonic Line brand. Klauss Bunge (the principal and designer, etc.) of Odyssey is German and appears to have a close working relationship with Symphonic Line. I don't pretend to be an audio reviewer, but I would characterize the sound as leaning towards warm (plenty of detail, just not cold).

Odyssey Audio Stratos Reviews

If you can get a Musical Fidelity with Choke Regulation in your price range, do it.

(A3, a3.2, I think most of the others are going to be too far up there, your best chance is with the a3)

Have you heard them Dusty? I had a A3cr pre and power amp combo and while had some "musicality" in it, the bass was overcooked driving the pair of 4312A monitors I had then, which are sensitive and quite an easy load for any amp. Not sure they're a good match for the Paradigms.

Odyssey amps are quite good for the price. I tried a stereo Stratos here. Not the most transparent and clean sounding amp ever, but remarkable performance for the price indeed. Kind of honest, which is the gear I like better.