Group Build: Dynafet

luvdunhill

Output export types are

bitmap (no holes seem to show thru)

metafile (never figured out how to use this)

dxf (don't have autocad)

eps

vector (useless as far as i can tell)

overlay (not even sure what this is)

What is the native format?

Edited by naamanf

It would be best to consider that version along with the Par Metals chassis I think. The casework of external heat sinks could be a nightmare for a novice.

I think I would rather volunteer to be the guy to drill and tap the heat sinks than deal with Par Metal.

I should be careful what I type:palm:. But actually when I was building those B22s I bought a couple nice spiral flute taps and some Tap Magic. Worked wonders and the taps are as good as the day I got them.

Oooh, tell me more? I might be in need of some of those... what exactly is a spiral flute tap and where do I go for something like that (+Tap Magic)?

Unless we invest in a precision heatsink bracket, the on-board heatsink pcb is a very practical way to get a headphone amp version done.

The advanced user looking for a speaker amp, could still use the onboard HS version pcb, and build his with transistors mounted to an off board heatsink.

Just trying to keep this project doable without a lot of machine work/fabrication for heatsinking.

My Hansen set is pretty nice. Comes with bits wrenchs etc.., but those spiral taps look sweet. What's Tap Magic? I'm guessing a good lubricant.

It is. They make it different versions for different metals. No idea if it's better than other lubricants but it worked good for me. Plus it has a nice cinnamon smell.

A nice ratchet tap handle with adjustable collet is also pretty handy.

nope, the version with external heat sinks. See post #1.

As long as the output transistor mounting holes are in the same place as the Dynahi, I'm in. I could just reuse my current heat sinks.

I can build boards, but I'm not going to mess with building heatsinks. unless

maybe get some CNC heatsink/adaptors brackets as part of this group buy.

CNC heatsink/adaptors brackets as part of this group buy.

yeah, that would be the idea. I need to noodle on a plan a bit more... T

The boards with the on-board sinks are just not acceptable to me. I have a feeling that they cannot handle enough heat (especially not in the configuration with doubled up devices) and plus they cannot accommodate the external mounting scheme, as they are turned 90 degrees.

yeah, that would be the idea. I need to noodle on a plan a bit more... T

The boards with the on-board sinks are just not acceptable to me. I have a feeling that they cannot handle enough heat (especially not in the configuration with doubled up devices) and plus they cannot accommodate the external mounting scheme, as they are turned 90 degrees.

Yeah, a 90-deg angle bracket allows easy bolting to vertical off-board heat sinks :)

2004-12-19%20012.jpg

• luvdunhill - 8 - 4
  • Naamanf - 6 - 4
  • looser101 - 4 - 2
  • n_maher - 4 - 0
  • Digipete - 8 - 4
  • Pars - 6 - 2
  • Fing - 4 - 4
  • Asr - 0 - 4
  • Stretch - 0 - 4
  • PFKMan23 - 0 - 4
  • Icarium - 4 - 4
  • Dreadhead - 0 - 4

ok, here's what I'm thinking in terms of responsibility:

luvdunhill - JFET / MOSFET matching and device procurement

pars - boards / BJT matching

looser101 - BJT matching

Naamanf - Cases / heatsinks / mounting hardware / IO Boards (including jacks)

Digipete - passive component procurement and matching

n_maher - internal wiring procurement and distribution

Icarium - toroid procurement and distribution

?? - power supply (sigma22) kitting

<everyone else> - shilling and general "investment protection"

I think the rough plan would be that all the boards and power supplies are built and tested. Cases would be speced out so that things are pretty much plug and play with no soldering required. The I/O board would contain PCB mount jacks and probably there would be a front and rear panel board that would be scored and could be broken out. Wires from each PCB would be pre-soldered by the builder/tester and then just connected to the IO boards. The boards would already be connected to the angled aluminum (done by the builder) (edit: maybe this is a bad idea, but this shouldn't be that hard for the end user to do as long as the devices could be protected in transit) and then this angled aluminum would just be screwed into the already tapped heat sinks. I'm not sure to what extent this is feasible, but sounds like a good idea to me. This way the cases would just be shipped once to the organizer and then a second time to the end-user who would just assemble things together.

Comments?

Edited by luvdunhill