NAS vs. Drobo Storage for Mac Audio/Video Server

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can daisy chain with a duet on the end. And every so often, the duet will lose it's mind and start outputing horrible noises. :)

I've heard those noises!

... and they are really terrible.

:eek::palm::asshat:

In a screaming eviscerated digital cat kinda way.

It is not cool.

... and that seems to happen all the more so when the computer is a 867mhz and Apogee's recommended minimum specs for the Duet is 1Ghz.

;)

Edited by EdipisReks

Please don't repeatedly reply to yourself.

Noted. It was late and I was being lazy.

I shall take your comments to heart and promptly flagellate myself into a penitent frenzy with a limp wet noodle.

Worse, like Robert Fripp

Hey I like some Frippertronics.:eek:

He did a great album with David Sylvian.:rolleyes:

Edited by EdipisReks

Al,

If it were me I'd got NAS and not the drobo route. I hate the idea of having to have a dedicated box turned on to listen to music somewhere else in the house. I also don't like the idea of having to have my storage tethered to a machine to access it. So as I see it you have 3 options:

1. drobo or similar USB/FW RAID system.

2. pre-built NAS/RAID system (the hardcore guys like tkam will poo-poo this)

3. custom built low power consumption computer built to act as a NAS/RAID box.

Personally I went with option #2 and other than some signal strength issues that I'm working on with video the audio side works pretty well.

Yeah drobo released a network storage attachment/option that works with all drobo units. It's an extra $200.

As far as pre-built NAS units, Thecus makes some good stuff especially the pro line.

Qnap and Synology also make good NAS devices though they are more expensive.

Thanks for the further input Nate, Dan and Todd. The Thecus units are what the Computer Audiophile guy promotes as the best solution. If you do this NAS bit or if you go the DroboShare route, do you also want to set up a separate network than the one doing internet duty in the house? I guess you need a Gigabit switch with the NAS setup, so the newer Airport Extremes can handle that duty, right?

I'd do a separate network for the NAS. It depends on how many systems will be connected to it as to whether you need another switch or if you can just direct attach it. I'd be glad to talk to you about options if you'd like.

I will take you up on this very soon. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...