Photo Hosting

So, I've been using MontyPics for years now... Crummy interface for uploading and organizing, but I'd been uploading and using those photos in forums for so long that changing hosting wasn't an option. Well, unknown to me until this morning, they had a complete meltdown over the weekend, had little redundancy and they lost about 99% of my photos going back about 6 years.

So, if I have to start from scratch, re-uploading the critical stuff from before, plus continuing to upload going forward, I want things to be a little better this time around on pretty much all fronts.

What I'm looking for:

• An improved interface for uploading and sharing
  • Batch uploading/resizing (?)
  • A good track record regarding stability
  • Flexibility in sharing (albums as well as individual photos)
  • Obviously hotlinking for use in the forums
  • Reasonably priced

I know Nate uses pbase and has had a decent experience with them, but I'd be curious to hear what else you guys are using, recommendations, etc. I know there are some decent free options, but I'm fine with paying for a superior service... You do often get what you pay for.

Thanks!

The one thing I wish Flickr had, (which they don't, to my knowledge) is a way to download an entire photo set as, say, a zip folder, or even just collection of jpegs.

I've got a bunch of album scans that I should've backed up but didnt. It'd be nice to just snag all of them in one swoop, without having to specify 'view original size' for each one.

photobucket and flickr are blocked at work for me, even though I use photobucket. No point in not using anything else, if another host were to get popular, that would probably get blocked too. Personally, I like flickr better these days as I don't trust photobucket not to use my pictures as there own advertisements or pay attention to content and management features enough, not to mention its a little unorganized.

The one thing I wish Flickr had, (which they don't, to my knowledge) is a way to download an entire photo set as, say, a zip folder, or even just collection of jpegs.

I've got a bunch of album scans that I should've backed up but didnt. It'd be nice to just snag all of them in one swoop, without having to specify 'view original size' for each one.

I do believe there's a tool out there to do it, but I'm at work so I don't have the link right now. It's out there though.

Just a note:

Flickr License

The following license is a requirement from Flickr.com that disallowed the Flickr Downloadr to download photos that are licensed with the default, "“all rights reserved". Make sure you change the default license if you want to download your own photos or allow others to download them. Use this link to change the license: http://flickr.com/profile_license.gne.

So if you want to download your own files you'll need to change the license, download your files, then change it back. But still much better than manually downloading them one by one I'll guess.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this to see if anyone has further suggestions. I'm looking for something with a very easy to use interface that makes photosharing stupid easy. pbase and mobile me are not doing it for me. Is flickr still good? I also don't want to be bombarded with ads and other people's ridiculous photos.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably go with SmugMug. It's just way too much damn work to move everything over at this point not to mention the thousand or so broken links that would result. Still, I contemplate it from time to time and may do it eventually as pbase continues to annoy me with its lack of updated interface. I feel like I'm using something that was created 10 years ago.

Flickr has an extra step now, to grab the image url. I have to click 'all sizes' and then grab it or resize and grab it. You used to be able to grab it on the auto-scaled size in photostream view.

Its kind of like running an extra lap, I dont like exerting effort to do much of anything, so boo-hiss.

I wish the free version of Dropbox was unlimited, that would be all she wrote.