Manley Skipjack--Your thoughts?

The Monkey

I've been tempted by the Manley Skipjack selector switch for a while now. It's not your basic A/B box and seems like it can do some neat things. The reason I am thinking about it is that it looks like I'll have 2 amps and 2 sources for a while and it would be nice to be able to switch easily and on the fly. It also could be useful for comparisons when I borrow gear. That said, the Skipjack is very expensive at $900. I know it's overkill, but is it ridiculous for what it does?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The single-ended aspect of it could cause problems for you, couldn't it? I wish the fricken Darwin was in stock at Twisted Pear.

Nate, yeah, the single ended aspect is an issue, but I could live with going unbalanced through the switch and just use the balanced connections on my preferred pairings. Also, the SkipJack manual offers a workaround with balanced connections, but I'm not sure I understand it (i.e., whether the signal stays balanced).

I did not know about the Darwin. It looks very cool. What is the Audio Controller 1?

I did not know about the Darwin. It looks very cool. What is the Audio Controller 1?

It seems like it can do many things, such as control the Volumite, rotary encoders, filters on DAC, Darwin, a Display, or any other device that is programmed into the firmware that can be controlled by i2c. It also will use a remote control. So, yeah, like an Uber controller for the TPA DACs and devices.

I don't think its a replacement Darwin, just a controller that accepts easy to update firmware to control many devices with a remote control. It was originally designed for the Joshua Tree Attenuator and I think is going through updates so much and firmware work that I don't see it coming out for a while.

This thin may not use any PCB traces in the signal path, but there has to be alot more than 1.5"-2" of wire.

strip4.jpg

Each of those cables is soldered into the PCB to anchor it, and comes from an RCA jack. More than 2" right there. I would guess that the connection is p-p wired on the bottom from these cables to the relay signal terminals, then these have to go from the entry relay to another or other relays, each wired with additional wire, then finally back to another relay and to another jack.

Kind of an over the top cool piece of gear, but as Nate said, at the end of the day, it is only a switchbox. Albeit one with alot of features probably not present on any other piece of gear (ABX testing, etc. from the sounds of it, though I did not read the entire product lit. nor the review).