My very own Beta 22 thread

Smeggy

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleh, went through it this morning checking all the points and continuity and still dead.

I have 0v dc offset, 4.5v, 65mv, LED lit, and I can still mesure DC offset at the jack, the board gets warm but no music. I swapped the board inputs too... nothing :(

It is the one that was the active ground, yes.

it was the left channel board that went pop so I rejigged it as a two channel passive ground with the active ground board as the second channel. Are the ground boards different? I thought the three boards were identical.

You will have an awfully hard time getting sound out of the ground channel. Do a little looking around the Right channel and find out what the gain is. I might have a spare working channel in the drawer.

I just checked and it's an 8x gain board. I'll happily pay for the board if you have one. It looks like changing gain is only a few parts, otherwise I'll try to change the ground channel into a normal one.

• 4 weeks later...

She lives!

Thanks to everyone for the help and support in this train wreck of a n00bs DIY disaster where I managed to turn a simple task into epic fail!

Recovery feels good :D

Now, how the hell do I wire it to run speakers too? Do I feed it off the headphone socket so they cut off when the phones are plugged in?

Glad to hear it Gary. I just got out of the shower, and while I was in there, I was wondering if i should order the stuff to build you the board I promised and was going to shoot you a PM.

As for the speakers, you'll want to use a Zobel Network. Read AMB's instructions: The β22 Stereo Amplifier (go the wiring section, direct link doesn't work)

yeah, very hard to drive.

Anyway, my Beta 22 in its generic steel case with canarywood and marble tile bling. Only bought the wood this morning and did it between shopping, watching a film she rented and all the other crap wifey has me doing ;)

beta1m.jpg

beta2u.jpg

It was a busy day using just the table saw and a sander/elbow grease. I coat of sanding sealer and two coats of satin laquer.

Still need to do the sides and clean the rest up but it's working out ok so far. Never tried canarywood before, pretty easy to work with but has a deep grain to it so shiny finishes look sucky unless you have time to fill all the grain.