Right driver in my HD650 busted

postjack

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after a few years in this hobby, I think it's safe to say I'm a tubes guy. I've owned some awesome SS gear, but tubes always pull me back, even with all the bullshit hassles. I have yet to try tubes in speaker amplification however.

WANT THAT TESTER

after a few years in this hobby, I think it's safe to say I'm a tubes guy. I've owned some awesome SS gear, but tubes always pull me back, even with all the bullshit hassles. I have yet to try tubes in speaker amplification however.

WANT THAT TESTER

Boy, and if you don't... probably calibrated an everything.

Boy, and if you don't... probably calibrated an everything.

Indeed, when I bought it (about 2 years ago) it had just been serviced and calibrated. I've also got both the original and a very extensive aftermarket manual for it.

I've got my eye on a couple of things and if they pan out I'll let head-case know first.

Indeed, when I bought it (about 2 years ago) it had just been serviced and calibrated. I've also got both the original and a very extensive aftermarket manual for it.

I've got my eye on a couple of things and if they pan out I'll let head-case know first.

I think postie and I are going to have to mudwrestle for that one

I've developed my owm method, and it's more accurate than those testers too.

I throw the tube on the ground as hard as I can, and depending on the colors of the explosion I can tell you wether the tube was good or bad.

The famous "water balloon technique".

got the drivers in today, that was fast. later tonight I'll attempt to dismantle them and pop these in. then begins the 8,000 hour burn in procedure; white noise through the ha-2 at maximum volume.

You know it's going to be asked- hour by hour updates please!

That was really easy. Props to Sennheiser for a very end-user friendly design.

1. Pull off the pads

2. Snap off the headband

3. Pull off the grill

4. Pull out the bottom part of the headband ring attachment thingy.

5. Put in the new driver (Sennheiser calls it System 300R, and system better describes it, since its a driver in a housing with the input jacks for the senn headphone cable connectors)

6. Reassemble.

Interesting side note: the drivers I received are the newer, white drivers, and the old drivers were the black ones. Whether the drivers are truly different other then the color is a subject best left to one hundred million HF threads, but the difference in sound to me seems readily apparent. Bass has tightened, and both treble and midrange are slightly more forward. Of course this could just be that we're dealing with brand new drivers.

So without further ado:

postjack-albums-ra-picture685-hd650-burn-graph.jpg

istockphoto_4045520-boy-with-headphone.jpg

0060-0808-0615-5962_Mouse_Rocking_Out_with_Headphones_On_clipart_image.jpg

Moo monkey moo monkey make modern milliseconds

Grrrrrrrr gravy grrrrrr gravy get get go ghost

untz untz untz untz untz untz untz

night nipple netherworld

---

volume be loud blowin' my fool head. peace i'm out.