Baby-Fi: Car Seat addition

thrice

I know we have some parents here, some new. I'm researching baby car seats and I think my head is about to explode. There are so many makes/models/features/ratings....etc. I know we're all gear nuts here, so some of you must have an opinion. We're looking at the Graco Snugfit 32. Looks good and safe and it works with a detachable base system, which we need.

Any other things I should read, look at, consider?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by thrice

We have the Graco Nautilus for my 3 year old and it works quite well. I do have a few minor gripes, as it's pretty hard to unlatch the buckle (which is good in some senses, as my eldest cannot do it) and I wish there was an even further away setting for the crotch buckle. Other than that, it's well made and quite adjustable / convertable and has survived lots of abuse. He likes the "secret" compartment in the side as well as the cup holder. I forget what other car seats we tried though before settling on this one :palm:

Edited by luvdunhill

We got the basic Graco snugride base, car seat, and stroller. In terms of the stroller the is a million choices as well.

One book we found useful in sorting through many items was "baby bargains" by Denise Fields (amazon has it). It is very detailed regarding ratings, reviews and best deals taking into account safety, user opinions, price, etc.

Shopping for baby stuff sure is overwhelming.

I did a lot of research and ended up with a Britax Boulevard. My wife didn't want one of the detacheable ones like the Snugride (that was my first choice) because it was too awkward and heavy for her to carry around. We ended up either Baby Bjorn carrying our baby around or using a stroller (when she got a little older).

The best part of the Britax Boulevard, is the continuously height adjustable straps. My daughter is now a little over 2 years old and we are still using the same car seat. I figured I'd spend extra on the best car seat that would last longer.

One major downside is moving it from car to car, since it's so large and heavy, it's awkward, and when switched to foward facing, the LATCH system was a PITA to attach.

There are clearance sales often for baby car seats, because some like Britax tend to have "expiration dates" , so they older models get phased out rather quickly. Odd fabric choices get heavily discounted too.

Oh, and if you are on the move alot, I highly recommend checking out the McLaren Umbrella type strollers. There's one that is less than 8lbs in weight but really sturdy and very convenient to fold up and put away, or sling over your shoulder (like when taking stairs). Either way, when your baby is a old enough to hold his/her head up, you can take them to the store and try and see which one works best for you.

-Ed

With two toddlers in two cars over the last three years, we've been through a couple of car seats! I'll just largely echo what's been said already. The Snugrides are great for as long as they'll fit in there. Both of our kids napped like champs in them, too. Then we went to Boulevards, but you could do the Roundabout if your kid isn't as oversized as mine are. Currently #1 is in a SafeGuard Go booster, which is easy to install and great for travel.

tan_angle_sm2.jpg

#2 will be following shortly, which means we'll have a nice clean Boulevard going begging. Yours gratis if you want it, Thrice. It's pink and flowery, though, which may or may not suit depending on what you're having. ;)

I'm so glad my kids are out of the car seat stage. We went with the all in one systems (bases, car seat, stroller) by Graco. I don't recall the name, but it was very handy detaching the car seat from the base and simply loading it onto the stroller.

To be honest, the detachable thing is a mixed bag, is it adds a fair amount of weight while making the size of the car seat a lot bigger. Granted we have a smallish car (Subaru Forrester) and I'm above average height, but when when the infant carrier was rear facing, I could not fit in the front seat :( I think it's useful for about 3-6 months, but after that too annoying.

It's been too long to recall makes/models of infant seats, but I am pretty sure they were Graco. The removable variety was great for us, and obviously allows you to transition in/out way easier. Didn't love the stroller part itself, but those have gotten better over the years too. I have seen a few more 3-wheeled strollers that are not solely jogging rigs, so I don't know if that is the new trend. Very high-tech looking and pretty cool.

The removable seats are necessary for transition in and out of the car, and the best way to deal with a baby in a restaurant. Other than that, a good light stroller, and a sling of some sort. Everything else is a luxury...

Sweet thanks guys... I'll do some more research, but so far the Graco Snugfit 32 looks like the best option. It's got a system where you can detach the seat from the base and mount it in a stroller as well. We'll need at least 2 bases for our car and one for grandparents/childcare provider.

that Graco Galaxy seat looks badass... shit, I want one for me.

pTRUCA1-5432121reg.jpg

With two toddlers in two cars over the last three years, we've been through a couple of car seats! I'll just largely echo what's been said already. The Snugrides are great for as long as they'll fit in there. Both of our kids napped like champs in them, too. Then we went to Boulevards, but you could do the Roundabout if your kid isn't as oversized as mine are. Currently #1 is in a SafeGuard Go booster, which is easy to install and great for travel.

tan_angle_sm2.jpg

#2 will be following shortly, which means we'll have a nice clean Boulevard going begging. Yours gratis if you want it, Thrice. It's pink and flowery, though, which may or may not suit depending on what you're having. ;)

Wow, that is huge. Looks like total overkill.

I like it.

Will definitely consider the Safeguard Go Booster for when my daughter outgrows the Boulevard.

-Ed

At least I get to pick out the baby monitor :) Hello home video wireless networking that allows me to monitor my baby with my iPod Touch. (Don't know if that actually exists, but c'mon, there HAS to be an app for that?!

Wow, that is huge. Looks like total overkill.

Actually, it's quite cunning. The back piece is not rigid, and it all folds up into a laptop bag. You can keep them in a 5-point harness for a while longer and when they won't stomach that anymore it disassembles into just your basic cushion booster. Good design.