CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HF-2s are very comfortable. The headband is much better than the HF-1 and the weight isn't an issue (for me). They do share (again for me) the HF-1 characteristic of being easy and pleasant to listen to as opposed to overly analytical. I'm listening to Naaman's right now off JPs Stacker and the Audio-gd Ref 1 and the Eagles are soothing my tortured soul and settling my Denny's-ravaged stomach.

elnero and Cankin, re: MS-2 vs HF-2

The MS-2 was good and fun, but it was very "Grado" with a little too much treble energy and seemed to lack lows extension or mids fullness a bit. I didn't find any problems with the HF-2, no fatigue, all smooth, everything sounded great. I'll go listen again today but I think these thoughts should stay the same. This was out of thrice's Buffalo -> tooleaudio balanced M^3 (I used the SE HF-2 because the balanced one had flats)

Quick question, could someone ask UE if they have spare UE1Xpro cables on hand at CanJam and get me one? (the larger version and it would be huge plus if it is the older thicker one)

I will reimburse and also pay for the shipping expense to me and get you a beer!

elnero and Cankin, re: MS-2 vs HF-2

The MS-2 was good and fun, but it was very "Grado" with a little too much treble energy and seemed to lack lows extension or mids fullness a bit. I didn't find any problems with the HF-2, no fatigue, all smooth, everything sounded great. I'll go listen again today but I think these thoughts should stay the same. This was out of thrice's Buffalo -> tooleaudio balanced M^3 (I used the SE HF-2 because the balanced one had flats)

Thanks, it's appreciated. I'll get to hear Biggie's when he gets his but my curiosity is getting the best of me. One other question, what type of pads did you use on the MS2i's?

When I got the MS2i's I swapped out the bowls for flats immediately and I've never felt the need to try the bowls. I've been over the moon with the MS2i's, smooth, detailed without sibilance issues and the overall balance seems very good to me. If I had to complain about anything it would be that they are a bit on the dry side. The HF-2 announcement has posed quite a quandary for me because I am so happy with the MS2i's but I still kick myself for not getting in on the HF-1's originally because they seem like they would be right up my alley. The impressions I've heard of the HF-2's seem like they would be as well.

Elnero, I'm curious as to what you think about the MS-1s vs the MS-2is? Having tried the Grado SR-60s I found them a bit too aggressive and maybe slightly too bright (with quarter modded comfies).

But the aggressiveness was the main reason, I didn't like the SR-60s. I found that the MS-1s were much more to my liking, with a better balanced tone. I also never found the mid-range to be dry, I think it's quite warm and sweet. Does this change with the MS-2i? The MS-1s to me sound much better with quarter modded reversed HD-414 pads compared to bowls. I'm not sure what it is about bowls, but they seem to make the MS-1s too laid back for me. So I'm not sure wether or not Grado's are the answer with bowls.

The only thing I could ask for from the MS-1s are a little more punch, detail and instrument seperation. I'm wondering where the HF-2 lies in between the Grado and Alessandro sound signatures. Or is it still different?

What is the chassis made of? So pretty...

Hard to tell from the small pic, but possibly a tight grained Snakewood. Maybe Sapele Pomele, although I don't think so.

Whatever wood it is, the copper is a very nice addition.

Audeze Planars

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Also listened to the Head-direct planars side-by-side using the Headamp GS-X and Neko Audio DAC. I slightly prefered the Audeze on sound alone and with price factored in (Audeze: $350-$4000; Head-Direct: $700-1000). Remember, however, that both of these are prototypes. The first 25 Audeze units will look like the above, using the off-the-shelf housing. The housing limits the driver and I was told they will also sell the drivers, but pricing was indeterminate. If you angle the drivers so the front is closer to the skull than the back (Hopefully not using a :basement:) the sound improves and IMO that is the direction they need to go with these.

I listened to Frank's electrostatic amp with my O2's and it handled them like a champ, plus the Mercury vapor tube glow is just cool as shit.

DSC_0113.jpg

Franks amps are stunning to look at and the impressions I've got via PM's are WOW and more WOW. :)

The non sealing pads on those Audeze phones may account for the lack of bass. Planars really like an infinite baffle or the bass begins to roll off.

Also listened to the Head-direct planars side-by-side using the Headamp GS-X and Neko Audio DAC. I slightly prefered the Audeze on sound alone and with price factored in (Audeze: $350-$4000; Head-Direct: $700-1000). Remember, however, that both of these are prototypes. The first 25 Audeze units will look like the above, using the off-the-shelf housing. The housing limits the driver and I was told they will also sell the drivers, but pricing was indeterminate. If you angle the drivers so the front is closer to the skull than the back (Hopefully not using a :basement:) the sound improves and IMO that is the direction they need to go with these.

Nice pics!

Did you happen to find out what they plan to do after the first 25 run? Make their own housings then?

Were the pads velour?

whats are the odds of two different companies trying to revive orthodynamic headphones at the same time, but none of them understanding the basics of how to implement the technology :palm:

why didnt they just read the damn ortho thread! :stick:

Or ask for free prototypers - nothing would have given the orthoheads more pleasure than to be involved and there is vast experience just waiting to be tapped ..dB

....The real shocker has been the Audeze planars. These are very fast, clear phones with a great frequency balance. They may lack a little low-end weight but that is definitely IMO. A big chunk of that comparison was using them on a Gilmore lite fed from the Spectral 2000 DAC and a PCDP transport. I compared them to an O2/BHSE using the same source, so not a liteweight comparison. The Audeze kept up in clarity and speed, but not in midrange smoothness or bass extension (WooHoo big surprise with the price differential). At $350 - $400 dollars, this phone is a steal. I will try to get a listen to it on the GS-X/Neko Audio D100 rig today.

Thanks. I am very interested in the Audeze planars.

The Spectral 2000 is very detailed and clear, but definitely lacks body in the lower regions. Seems it wouldn't be (IMO) the most ideal source for the Audeze.

Or ask for free prototypers - nothing would have given the orthoheads more pleasure than to be involved and there is vast experience just waiting to be tapped ..dB

I just emailed Sankar, asking him if they would like some help in optimizing the next housing design. Im sure a few of the ortho thread memebrs collective knowledge could prove v.useful.

That said, apart from the earpads (i cant tell if they are velour), the housing seems totally fine, depending on how it is implemented inside)