JH Audio stuffs

atothex

I agree about the CD5001 but the Cary is at another level for me. Even though the Cary seems to be working fine (for now) I think it will be going in for a checkup anyway.

I'm curious, do you use the analog outputs of the Cary, or use it as a transport for a DAC?

My CD5001 is only being used as a transport, although the RCA outputs are pretty decent when all I had was the CD5001 fed into a DV336i. I got the Apogee mini-DAC at the same time as my WA6, and it was quite an upgrade and fantastic with my JH13Pro. No hiss, hum or noise at all - just sweet music.

Here are some bigger pictures I found on HF of a "custom" WA5-LE (LE version has no speaker or K1000 output). I can open mine (completely stock except for tubes) up and take some pictures of mine at some point but I am supposed to be working right now. :)

IMG]http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1782/img0622gw6.jpg

IMG]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/7729/img0625fv4.jpg

IMG]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1015/img0617cg3.jpg

According to the owner, custom means:

- URL="http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa5le.html"]Woo Audio Premium Parts Upgrade

- 2x Yamamoto UX4 Gold Sockets

- 4x Yamamoto Octal Gold Sockets

- 4 pair WBT-0210 Cu Ms RCA Sockets

- Alps RK-50 HighEnd Potentiometer

(So no real changes to the circuit I guess.)

Indeed, appears to be what I though. Monolithic bridge rectifier into a cap, large Dale wirewound resistors in series to another cap (pi filter), wired directly to the filament of the 300b's. "Humpot" resistors leading to the cathode bias resistor.

Good news here. I moved the amp and ps so they are 6" away from one another (farthest I could move them without completely changing my setup). The hum is almost completely gone with the HD800 (didn't try the JH13's) in the high jack (and completely silent in the low jack - like it was before). There is still a very slight amount of hum in the left channel but the right channel seems to be silent. At least I am making progress. I think this calls for a .... :prettyprincess:

Good to hear someone is making some progress tonight :)

I'm curious, do you use the analog outputs of the Cary, or use it as a transport for a DAC?

My CD5001 is only being used as a transport, although the RCA outputs are pretty decent when all I had was the CD5001 fed into a DV336i. I got the Apogee mini-DAC at the same time as my WA6, and it was quite an upgrade and fantastic with my JH13Pro. No hiss, hum or noise at all - just sweet music.

CD or Macbook via Toslink Input -> XLR outputs

Good news here. I moved the amp and ps so they are 6" away from one another (farthest I could move them without completely changing my setup). The hum is almost completely gone with the HD800 (didn't try the JH13's) in the high jack (and completely silent in the low jack - like it was before). There is still a very slight amount of hum in the left channel but the right channel seems to be silent. At least I am making progress. I think this calls for a .... :prettyprincess:

:jbl:

Do the following until you hate me:

Move the PS and or amp backwards and forwards bit by bit (say 1" or so each way to start) to see if that effects noise. If it does, tune it in once you get into the ballpark. Depending on your luck the "non-noise" may be just as good offset 1/4" as 2"

another guess would be to rotate the 2 relative to each other just a little. Just a few degrees here and there.

As a third guess: have you tried putting the amp and PS on the opposite sides of each other from the way you have them now?

:jbl:

Do the following until you hate me:

Move the PS and or amp backwards and forwards bit by bit (say 1" or so each way to start) to see if that effects noise. If it does, tune it in once you get into the ballpark. Depending on your luck the "non-noise" may be just as good offset 1/4" as 2"

another guess would be to rotate the 2 relative to each other just a little. Just a few degrees here and there.

As a third guess: have you tried putting the amp and PS on the opposite sides of each other from the way you have them now?

Thanks Ari, I will try this later tonight. Unfortunately, I don't think that I can put the amp and PS on opposite site because ps umbilical cord isn't long enough (it connects at the let side of the ps and the right side of the amp). I could put one more rack on my stand and put them on different shelves (one above one another) but don't know if that would improve things.

That looks seriously great, Shelly.

I need to decide my color now. I'm not going with any graphics, but I think I want to be able to easily tell between Right and Left. So I'm either going to go with some small indicator graphic, or I'll do two separate colors for the earpieces. If I go the latter route, I think I would go blue and red, but I would want it to be pretty subtle. So I'm thinking muddy water blue for left and whatever dark red they have for right, both translucent, and both mixed with ~50% black translucent.

Any thoughts about these approaches are appreciated.

How was the audiologist you went to? How much did they charge?

Jin, I went to this guy: Andrew Resnick Audiologist Hearing Aids New York City. He was recommended by someone over at HF, and he's within walking distance from my office. He was fast and professional and seemed to know what he was doing. He indicated that he had made molds for musicians in the past (but not in an arrogant way). It cost $85, which is a little high, but the proof will be in the pudding. If these come back fitting great, then it was money well spent. I'll be sure to report back.

That looks seriously great, Shelly.

I need to decide my color now. I'm not going with any graphics, but I think I want to be able to easily tell between Right and Left. So I'm either going to go with some small indicator graphic, or I'll do two separate colors for the earpieces. If I go the latter route, I think I would go blue and red, but I would want it to be pretty subtle. So I'm thinking muddy water blue for left and whatever dark red they have for right, both translucent, and both mixed with ~50% black translucent.

Any thoughts about these approaches are appreciated.

I wish I had different colors for left/right. I like the idea of mixing 50% translucent black.

I just got a nice *little* package in the mail

Good call, Shelly. The Pico is a great little amp for the 13s and many other cans.

...........but I think I want to be able to easily tell between Right and Left............Any thoughts about these approaches are appreciated.

After a few days, it'll be as easy as telling your left shoe from your right; just look at the driver in relation to the cable exit. I have minimal markings on clear drivers and ID a side in just a glance. You can also feel which is which based on the cable exit, put them on in subdued lighting. IMHO, matching drivers is much cooler and pro looking as well.