JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Listening was cut short by arrival of Christmas Tree. I'm sick, so Katie and Jack went out to get the tree. Cute little thing, btw.

Anyway, with respect to SQ, the only thing I will say definitively at this point is that the raves about speed and attack, especially on percussion are well-deserved.

One thing that is holding back my enjoyment is my fear that the fit may be off just slightly. I get that a bit of that "ear too full" feeling, and I think there may be a hot spot that is nicking the bottom part of my right ear canal. I also sense some definite relief when I take the IEMs out, so I'm not sure that's a great sign. These are the things I find frustrating about customs, and they are similar to the problems I had with my UE10. I know that it takes some dialing in to get them seated right, so maybe that's the issue.

I also have a bad cold and I'm very congested. I wonder if that could be part of the problem. Would congestion make the shape of the ear canal different?

Anyway, I hear good things when I listen to them, and the raves are spot on. But I am distracted by the fit at this point.

EDIT: Not to worry, Dusty. ;) I still don't have enough time with them for any conclusions. Burn-in and so forth... :)

Is it me or those who has had fit issues, including myself, had them only with the right ear?

JH13 arrived this week. Right ear is perfectly comfortable. The left ear doesn't quite sit right but its close. I haven't had a system in a long time that could render a symphony without feeling compressed and muddy. And this is just with an MP3 player (I like to use the Sony X1061).

I think the fit is ok. It seems like the opposite strategy of what I did with the UEs works here. Instead of getting them screwed in and then loosening a tiny bit, it seems like these fit best when I scew them in, then give one final little twist so that they are even more snug. That appears to do the trick. However, they don't "disappear" in my ears (i.e., I always know they're there).

Hey all. I had a quick question about microphonics on these things, if anybody can help out.

I've read the whole thread, and found only one reference -- someone who said his glasses caused him some trouble with microphonics. I use ER-4Ps, and so I've never done the wrap-over-the-ear deal before (lest I look like Frankenstein.) Where I get the most noise with the Etys would be either wind or the occasional collar-scrape wardrobe malfunction if I don't have the cable clipped in the right spot.

So, anybody do a lot of outdoor listening with the JH13s? In windy-ish conditions?

Oh and I'd like to buy replacement cables for them that make mp3s sound like SACD. I don't want to pay more than, say, $2500. So if anybody knows a good dealer...

(Kidding, kidding, of course kidding.)

Thanks all, I'd really appreciate anybody's experiences w/cable noise. I'm assuming since it has barely been mentioned at all in this entire thread it can't be THAT bad, but for $1100 bucks, well, it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm probably the most ponderous, indecisive gear-buyer known to man, but I don't know if I can resist these things...

No cable noise issues that I've heard yet, including outside in the wind. Really, anything you wrap up over your ears is pretty much impervious to cable microphonics. Since you form a tight seal, however, footsteps and the like can be easily heard, like any other IEM.

The cable has no microphonics to it at all. I am sitting here flicking the cable with some slack in it and there is no sound transmission. If you intentionally flick the cable by your ears, then you hear/feel it but that is just the way ears work. I am wearing glasses right now and unless I scrape them along the tops of my ears I don't understand the issue there any differently either. I have never heard the wind outside at all with JH13s in, and customs will make a huge improvement in general over ER4s. YMMV

Verrrrry interesting. Crap. I was half-hoping that there would be some horrible flaw to tone down the covet factor on these things.

Ah well, time to start planning to do something to my bank account that Jimmy Stewart would freak out about if he saw it from his rear window.

Thanks so much, guys. I really appreciate you answering so quickly. If at any point in my life I should ever know anything of value, I'll be sure and return the favor.

Well now that you mention it. Do you have any insider information on a publicly traded company?

Oh, it's not for me mind you, I was just wondering, you know for a friend.

Verrrrry interesting. Crap. I was half-hoping that there would be some horrible flaw to tone down the covet factor on these things.

Ah well, time to start planning to do something to my bank account that Jimmy Stewart would freak out about if he saw it from his rear window.

Thanks so much, guys. I really appreciate you answering so quickly. If at any point in my life I should ever know anything of value, I'll be sure and return the favor.