JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Well jamato confirmed that this amp doesn't share the digital volume control of the Shadow so we're back to the panasonic pot. That may also hint at only the output stage being differential so calling it balanced at all is kinda "meh" in my book.

The only thing I'm interested in the new portable amps these days is the digital volume control since all the amps I tried with the JH13s did have hiss, which is so annoying.

Does the differential output stage mean that this amp is not truly balanced?

Trying to introduce a proprietary connector is fail.

Worse is doing it on a portable amp where said connector cannot rotate without turning the whole stack of equipment in my pocket.

I guess once you realize you can sell 10 bucks worth of ebay cable and epoxy for $125 this must seem like a good idea...

Yeah, he can fuck off.

jamato said it would have a balanced input but I doubt it very much that the amp is balanced throughout. Not that it would make any sense to do so as what source are you going to use that would give you a balanced signal to work with. There is also the problem of attenuating that balanced input, either digital or go with a 4-gang analogue pot which would have to be custom ordered in 100 piece lots or even 1000.

What about a ribbon-like connector, where the four connections are next to each other?

but that's not the standard connector!

TRRS is the best idea, and retard proof it. not exactly the engineering problem of the century.

I'm assuming that connector comes in a straight version as well, but if all the cables are going to be made with the R/A connector, then every amp made will have to be designed so that the non-rotating cable does not interfere with other switches/connectors/volume

Why not micro usb? its got 4 connectors? There should be enough manufactured to keep costs low. Granted it doesn't rotate, and the fact that its used elsewhere, for other things, means that it is a disaster waiting to happen for the unwary. But what has logic and reason have to do with this, anyway? :)

I'm still stuck on the whole balanced portable concept. Why go balanced IEMS and amp when the source isn't? Am I missing something?

Cause nobody has thought of the sextanced portable yet. This involves 6-channels, two of which are ground channels that are used to drive the shielding on the left and right cables, a la Audience. This is really the next big thing, thought you guys should know. The technology is there, but the advances in cable connectors has not caught up yet, and once that matures we should be seeing some really fantastic stuff.

I'm still stuck on the whole balanced portable concept. Why go balanced IEMS and amp when the source isn't? Am I missing something?
A fair question. Here's how I'd go about seeing if the answer makes sense: determine what is the benefit of going balanced, see if it applies in this case.

The benefit of going balanced -- in general -- is noise rejection. This is most useful in low level signals such as microphones and turntables. So having it post-amplification? Not so much. Small, non-zero, yes; worthwhile? Not for me. I'd want balanced all the way back from the source, as Headroom does it.