Ye Macce Threade

Haven't tested it, but the manual for my Ayre DAC suggests that, for best performance, it should be run on a USB bus that is not being shared with any other devices. I have seen Gordon Rankin arguing the same on AA and CA, but can't recall the technical specifics.

That intuitively makes sense to me. If for no reason other than that it makes sense to me. Also, Rankin seems to know what he's talking about.

EDIT: Of course, whether I could hear such differences in performance is an entirely different matter.

Shit. Things are going downhill fast here. A rogue FW400 cable tore the pins out of my MacBook's firewire port. This was not some crap cable, either. I should have used the cheapo one that came with my FW card reader. Now I cannot copy pictures from either of my camera to the laptop (it's not recognizing either of them via USB.) I'm stuck here until Saturday.

:kitty:

On the plus side, I figured out how to set up Internet Connection Sharing, so now mum can check her email on her iBook G3, leaving me to curse my own laptop in piece.

mmyeah, I have never seen anything like this in the decade+ I have been using FW400.

I did just have an idea. Mum has her iBook G3 here, which has a (working) FW400 port, and I still have the cheap FW cable that came with my Lexar FW CF card reader. I can copy the pictures from the CF card(s) to her laptop, the move them over the wireless network I have created. I dunno what kind of speed I'll get (the iBook is probably 802.11b, and I lack an ethernet cable out here) but "slow" is a hell of a lot better than "not at all."

Perhaps old news already but there's a rather large OS update (as of yesterday I hear) that fixes a bunch of security flaws. I started downloading it today and also found that there's a 500+MB iTunes update as well. Those expecting iPads probably want to make sure their machines are up to date prior to Saturday.

I thought the 10.6.3 was around 400mb and the itunes 9.1 update to be around 90mb. How did you get a 500mb itunes update?

Maybe it's the size if you download the entire cumulative update packet directly from Apple? That's what I usually do whenever Apple updates OSX and 10.6.3 cumulative update package was close to 800mb.

I thought the 10.6.3 was around 400mb and the itunes 9.1 update to be around 90mb. How did you get a 500mb itunes update?

It was the full bundle of both the OS and iTunes, it started out showing iTunes as the only download but obviously there was more. It's installed now without apparent issue.

Ah, I see. For me, it installed the OS update and I had to make itunes check for update to get 9.1. And then it had to re-update my library for ages. I don't recall it doing that for previous updates.

I was listening to a podcast on the way home (Macbreak Weekly) and they were discussing the update so when I got home I just clicked on the Apple menu, selected software update and it took care of both of them. I launched iTunes and didn't notice anything different. I did, however, find it disappointing that the power management options that used to exist are still missing from Snow Leopard. I don't seem to get anywhere near the battery life that I used to out of my Macbook. :(

I actually did find the edge of my unibody MBP to be too sharp for hour-after-hour comfort. I probably would not have done this to it on my own (though after seeing his video of how easy it is, then again I might), but that edge was one of the reasons I traded down to the previous generation MBP after owning a unibody for a while. (The other reasons were keyboard feel and the light leakage around the backlit keys.)

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but nonetheless I am surprised at the number of people mocking this guy as a clueless moron at Man files "sharp" edge off his MacBook Pro . Crikey. He has a problem, he deals with it straightforwardly, he contributes a how-to video to the world, and nobody has to do this who doesn't want to. More power to him.