Ye Macce Threade

Doesn't matter to me as the University does not have the money to waste on law suits so they will err on the side of caution. But it does state that OSx is only licensed for use on Apple hardware. It makes sense as then the hardware and software can be tailored for each other.

In all seriousness, what makes it more capable than your average 10" netbook at 4x the price? I understand the OS is better, but my Hackintosh for $300 seems like the far better mobile platform. I looked and the little Lenovo that GE is selling here is one of the simplest to put OSX on so if I were in your shoes I'd spend $200 on that, throw OSX on it and see what you think. It'd save you ~$800.

steve-jobs-fixes-the-netbook-7834-1287633266-6.jpg

There are some that would find saving $800 the reason do go the hackintosh route. For others, including me, I would buy the Air and spend the money for the same reason I would rather spend the extra money on a MacBook Pro over a lesser expensive Windows notebook. The form factor means something to some. I also believe that the Air is going to outlast and run better than a hacked net book. I have no proof of that other than my experience with the many Windows notebooks I've owned compared to the macs I've owned.

Edited by tyrion

There are some that would find saving $800 the reason do go the hackintosh route. For others, including me, I would buy the Air and spend the money for the same reason I would rather spend the extra money on a MacBook Pro over a lesser expensive Windows notebook. The form factor means something to some. I also believe that the Air is going to outlast and run better than a hacked net book. I have no proof of that other than my experience with the many Windows notebooks I've owned compared to the macs I've owned.

I just held an Air in my hands today and I am pretty certain that I will be getting one. The 13" screen is beautiful, the case is beautiful, and the thing is lighter than my ipad and wireless keyboard and is made of actual air compared to my shitty Dell work laptop that is breaking my back on every work trip I take. Before touching it I wasn't even thinking about it.

I'm going to buy one for my daughter just so I can say I have one in the family. I would love the 11", which will soon be able to upgraded to 256 SSD through an aftermarket source but the iPad still is my choice for my use. If I could run Parallels on it without issue, the 13" could be my next office computer.

This is why I'm trying to push my wife to Apple (Air or MBP) for her next laptop which we will likely get for her this holiday:

Checking out the Dell Adamo since she has some concerns about switching over from Windows, because her friend was having some problems with the switch. I went to the Dell web site, it says 'call for pricing', and right underneath is a chat online now button, clicked on that, and got this communication:

4:54:54 PM system1.png System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat

4:54:54 PM system1.png System Connected with Tshering D

4:54:59 PM agent.png Tshering D Hi John

4:55:05 PM user1.png John hi.

4:55:09 PM agent.png Tshering D Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name is Tshering xxx and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at [email protected] or via phone at 1- 800 -289-3355 at Ext:xxx .How can I help you today?

4:55:20 PM user1.png John So how much for the Adamo?

4:55:39 PM agent.png Tshering D Great! Glad you chatted in today, I'd be happy to help you with that.

4:56:34 PM agent.png Tshering D I am really sorry but we don't have Admo any more with us

4:57:14 PM user1.png John Meaning it doesn't exist anywhere, or I cannot buy it online?

4:59:24 PM agent.png Tshering D we don't have the system anymore

5:00:29 PM user1.png John Dell does not amke it any more, so I cannot go down to Best Buy or any other retailer? Or Dell online doesn't sell it, so go check out Best Buy?

5:00:54 PM agent.png Tshering D You can check online

5:01:41 PM user1.png John Does Dell manufacture this model any more? Yes or No.

5:03:13 PM user1.png John I just checked online, and your web site lists it, but states to call to check for pricing ...

5:07:49 PM agent.png Tshering D please call at 1 - 877 - 275 - 3355

5:11:05 PM user1.png John You could've said that in the first place ...

5:12:19 PM agent.png Tshering D I am really sorry for the delay but the system is no more available with us it .

5:12:39 PM agent.png Tshering D The system will be available only in Retails

5:13:15 PM user1.png John Thank you.

5:13:29 PM agent.png Tshering D You are welcome

Called Dell at the number she gave me, went through a bunch of prompts, got a human, I asked for the price of the Adamo, he said, 'you want to buy a demo?' No, I want the price of your model, 'Adamo'; he wanted my phone number and personal info, I gave him 555-1212, he kept saying, 'so you just want the price of the Adamo, that's it?', and I'd say 'yes'. He said 'ok, I'll check online', (duh, I just did that, and it said I should call them) then 'oh, it looks like we don't make that any more. You'd have to go to our outlet store.' I suggested it should just say that on the website, instead of it saying I should call for pricing. He agreed, and said it just wasn't selling, because you could get a much better computer at a lower price. Nice.

I'm going to work on my wife a little more and get her over to a Mac ... :)