Ye Macce Threade

Tried out the MBA today at the Apple Store. I want the 11" MBA bad. One thing keeping me from buying it is that it does not have 3 G built in like the iPad. I would have to get the tethering plan on my iPhone. I would need to find out if I can keep my unlimited data plan, which I doubt they would allow.

Edited by tyrion

I know but the more I think about it the more I think the iPad is the way to go for my purposes. I'm going to wait to see how the Mac App Store turns out before deciding.

Just go ahead and get a BTO 11.6" base with ram upgrade. Go with a student discount through one of your kiddies and you'll consider it enough of a "deal" to justify it. You'll wind up using both of 'em, but wouldn't you usually be around wifi anywhere you'd have a laptop? Wouldn't you just use your iPad's 3G connection in the parts you didn't? Just Dew Eeet!

**BRENT**

I wish I could justify having both but I have a MacBook in the office, which I no longer bother to bring home since I have the iPad and MacMini at home, for the few times I need a computer. So it's one or the other. The sacrifice I would be making would be battery life, which would only be an issue on long flights. In terms of size and weight, it's a wash as far as I'm concerned. I like the apps on the iPad so for the moment that is a bit of an advantage to the iPad but that would change hopefully, once the Mac App Store is up and running. Computing power, storage, ram and typing ease go to the MBA. My biggest complaint with the iPad is the ram and typing. The typing will always remain but the next gen iPad will likely fix the ram issue. The MBA cost more but not enough to prevent me from getting one so that is not a big issue.

I wish I could justify having both but I have a MacBook in the office, which I no longer bother to bring home since I have the iPad and MacMini at home, for the few times I need a computer. So it's one or the other. The sacrifice I would be making would be battery life, which would only be an issue on long flights. In terms of size and weight, it's a wash as far as I'm concerned. I like the apps on the iPad so for the moment that is a bit of an advantage to the iPad but that would change hopefully, once the Mac App Store is up and running. Computing power, storage, ram and typing ease go to the MBA. My biggest complaint with the iPad is the ram and typing. The typing will always remain but the next gen iPad will likely fix the ram issue. The MBA cost more but not enough to prevent me from getting one so that is not a big issue.

You are a lawyer. Isn't justifying things what you do for a living? :)

Tell you what...buy two and send one around for others to try out with the emotiva dac :)

Is there a consensus that a SSD makes a truly big difference in actual computing experience and use (not just numbers and rating scales) over a regular HD? Dell is swapping my old, crappy, and defective laptop for another old, crappy but hopefully not defective laptop. In light of the need to configure a new computer, this would be a good time for me to get a SSD drive, if it really makes a difference.