Ye Macce Threade

no, it's a macbook air feature.

Shhh ... don't tell.

is that with the external drive, or the invisible internal drive?

It is visible with the secret decoder ring.

Actual question: Is the Applecare warranty transferable if you sell the warranteed item to someone else?

working on directly attaching my Netgear ReadyNAS to my mac mini and setting up jumbo frame support. So far, very slick and very fast. The only issue I have is Internet Sharing not working from the ethernet interface over to the wireless interface, despite it being configured. This isn't a huge issue, but now I have to manually upgrade the firmware on the Netgear device.

Next up, creating a single iPhoto library for all users on this machine, and perhaps a single iTunes library, if that's even possible (merging).

Oooooooo, goody, goody!

I was talking to the mothership the other day about my email account, seems they don't want me accessing it on anything but a corporate computer.

"Well," I sez, "I kinda need a test-bed Mac for playing around with audio apps, and I was looking for something I could wipe clean and reflush so it's got a fresh OS for testing software."

"Sorry, you can't mess with corporate machines."

"Um," says I in a brilliant flash of thought, "I could use my little MacBook for that if you could send me a MacBookPro I could do my regular work faster."

"We only send Macs to creative people."

"I'm creative."

"No. Editors and stuff."

"Oh! I'm an editor."

"Okay. No problem."

"Um ... I'll need lots of RAM and fast processors to run the Adobe stuff."

"Sure, no problem."

"Yeah, well, do you have the latest Adobe stuff, too?"

"(Sigh) Yeah, no problem. What's your address?"

.... stunned silence ...

I gave it. I've got no idea what I'm getting other than that.

w00t!

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

I'd guess it's because their IT department deals with a bunch of non-technical people, and doesn't want to deal with the potential fallout of either a big virus infection or mail compromise. Then there are the rules public companies have to maintain about keeping emails archived, etc. but mostly, I bet it's for simplicity for the support organization.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably going to try to swap out my HD on this old iMac and replace with a new SSD. I have everything backed up using Time Machine. Is this all I need to restore libraries and things like that when I set up the new HD? Or do I need to do something more extensive? Basically, I could use some advice about how to prep so that the transition is easy.

Assuming you can connect the SSD to your computer externally, I'd make a clone of your HD onto SSD using either Super Duper (not free) or Carbon Copy (free) before you install it. This way, your iMac will boot up with all your data/files without needing to restore from Time Machine once SSD is installed.

Assuming you can connect the SSD to your computer externally, I'd make a clone of your HD onto SSD using either Super Duper (not free) or Carbon Copy (free) before you install it. This way, your iMac will boot up with all your data/files without needing to restore from Time Machine once SSD is installed.

I agree, I would do a clone in this case and swap drives. Time machine is okay if you have a new Mac and want to migrate old apps and data to it, but I prefer to work with a clone if everything is working fine for you and it's just a drive upgrade. I like that my backup can be bootable and swapped inside the Mac at any point. Time machine does have the benefit of keeping the old stuff in case you need to dig back for something you deleted or edited by accident. But time machine requires a backup drive that is bigger than the source drive you are backing up, and a clone can be the same size or smaller - you can specify while folders or files to include or ignore in the clone. Either way you end up buying an external case to put the new drive in, so you can make the clone, and then you can swap drives and have a nice external drive for backups using your old drive. I uses SuperDuper myself, but Carbon Copy Clone was not bad.

I've never had such a confining experience on a computer.

Got the MBP

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

But I can't load any software or update without tying to the mother ship and having Gerry in New York play with my box.

(It's not nearly so thrilling as it sounds.)

All that shit aside, it's a lovely machine.

I swapped out the hd in my old iMac tonight for the ssd I bought from Gene. To those of you with 1G intel iMacs who are considering opening that fucker up, my advice is to reconsider. It is a major, major pain in the ass. The G5 and subsequent intel generations are all supposed to be easier. Some sadist was behind this one.

I may have a different opinion once this thing is up and running, which will seem like a small miracle. But looks like the install is going fine so far. Thanks for the helpful answers above, gang.