Ye Macce Threade

As soon as the new Thunderbolt equipped displays and hard drives come out, which will be very soon, the Thunderbolt will allow an MBP or MBA user to have a desktop setup with a full sized monitor, an external hard drive or array, and eventually other peripherals to use a single cable to connect or disconnect the laptop. All that ease of use with mega fast transfer speeds. Seems pretty good to me.

Also, I thought the Sandy Bridge chips were going to "bring massive CPU performance improvements to Apple's most diminutive laptops with little change in power requirements." That also seems pretty good to me.

Edited by Voltron

In practical terms, for something like a regular external HD, it'll be the same improvement over Firewire 800 that eSATA is -- that is quite significantly for demanding applications still, but most so for people using SSD drives. I think the point of it is that it can scale to ridiculous levels of speed with arrays for people working on full HD video. OWC just announced even faster SSDs with 500+ MB/sec read and write speeds, so the timing could be excellent, but you'd still be easily looking at somewhere over $3k for the fastest 1TB of external storage without getting more exotic, assuming someone releases a 2-bay RAID box.

Edited by Currawong

I doubt there'd be much increase in speed, assuming we're talking about regular iPod. HDD in iPod will be the bottleneck.
HDD technology is so...2000's. I was actually wishing I could trick out my older iPod with one of those solid state drives, but I was told that a lot of the iPod's actually check the drive and make sure it's something they have drivers for.