Ye Macce Threade

That would be cool but a dock seems like the more likely way they would go. The mini DV connector seems pretty big for the iPad.

EDIT: Some of the geeks on the Macrumors forum are sure that the iPad will have Thunderbolt so who knows.

I was thinking more along these lines:

thor5web.jpg

Edited by Voltron

Yeah, I am sure I will end up getting a nicely specced (2.2 Quad, 128gb SSD, HiRes screen, 4GB RAM) 15 and then just use the 11" MBA when I need something light. The 15 should be able to do just about anything I would ask it too and will probably be a bit lighter than my current 15.4" with much longer battery life. I just do not think I would be happy with the screen on the 13" being lower res than the MBA.

I had a feeling it would be a mistake to purchase a 15" last winter without an Expresscard slot, as I can't kludge an upgrade. I would happily like to piss off all these damn cables and just have one daisy chain for everything.

By the way, does anyone else see the irony in full-screen apps in Mac OS X after years of people ranting how, unlike in Windows, Mac apps were designed to work without requiring them to be viewed full-screen?

Edited by Currawong

OK definitely getting a 15" quad core with Matte high resolution display and at least 128GB SSD drive. Now the question is what other upgrades:

2.0ghz -> 2.2ghz? or

4GB -> 8GB RAM? or

128GB -> 256GB?

or none of the above. If I do any *real* computations I will use more office machine or the departmental server. Then the programs I use most are Adobe Illustrator, Texshop, SAGE for small computations (ones that aren't going to run for days), NeoOffice, possibly Aperture in the future for photo editing, and of course Chome, Mail, Preview or Skim and Itunes are always open.

I am thinking 2.2Ghz processor, 4GB RAM, and 128GB SSD (I can always upgrade the RAM and HD later). I may have to get Applecare because it will be a university owned machine. I am not sure that I will be allowed to replace the HD or RAM on my own also (because it will not technically be my machine) so that should be something to factor in. Maybe I don't really need the 2.2Ghz processor though.

Also, I am keeping all my music and pictures on an external drive and don't plan (at this point) to put Windows on the new machine so I think I could get away with a 128GB drive.... I would get the 256GB SSD but it is so damn expensive!

The Link to AnandTech has a decent technical summary of the new models. I was planning on 8GB RAM and the 256GB SSD, but the annoying thing is that SSD is apparently priced off the charts compared to the 128GB, which is pretty much at market price. Still, I have to think that 128GB would feel limiting and I will definitely get AppleCare so replacing on my own is not an option.

And Dinny, the 27" iMac is amazing. Not portable, but a great desktop/TV/etc.

We are starting to buy iMacs in the office for the attorneys and staff. My partners have the 27" iMac and it is amazing. If I end up buying myself a MBA, then when my MBP either dies or gets passed down, I will likely get the 27" iMac. If the MBA's are updated enough that they can run Parallels without any problem, then the MBA might replace my MBP, which means my office buys the MBA rather than me, which is always a good thing.

The things I'd concentrate on are more memory, bigger ssd, then cpu. Get the most you can get, but don't feel bad about any of them if you don't, even the smallest configuration is a beast of a machine.

OK, thanks Dan. So I will go with 8GB RAM over 2.2Ghz processor.

Do you think the 256GB SSD is just completely overpriced and I should stick with the 128GB?

By the way, does opening up the Unibody Macs and installing a new HD/RAM void the warranty? I suspect it does.

Edited by shellylh