Ye Macce Threade

I know it's a long shot, but anyone around here with SSD as their main drive running LR3 with its catalog on an external drive (regular HD)?

I've been thinking about sticking SSD into my MacBook mainly to get LR3 to run bit faster/smoother, but I'm wondering having its catalog on an external drive would negate any and all benefits of internal SSD.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

When I upgraded our 1st Gen Intel iMac to a 500Gb 7200 rpm Seagate I could really appreciate the extra speed. Looks like an SSD is the next step, and since we only use half the space on the Seagate it appears that a smaller SSD could work for us. Monkey, what kind did you use?

Also, I know Apple only supports 3Gb of RAM on this iMac model, but does anyone know if it can use more if you install it? I've heard my Macbook Pro can use 6Gb even though only 4 is supported, so I had to ask.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

I know it's a long shot, but anyone around here with SSD as their main drive running LR3 with its catalog on an external drive (regular HD)?

I've been thinking about sticking SSD into my MacBook mainly to get LR3 to run bit faster/smoother, but I'm wondering having its catalog on an external drive would negate any and all benefits of internal SSD.

Haj ... I did exactly this. Had 256gb ssd in mbp with os and all programs including lr3, and ran lr3 cat and all photos on an external fw drive. Previously ran all from internal mbp drive. Very noticeable improvement in speed. So, I'd say go for it, and you will get a faster/smoother running lr3.

My wife is trying to purchase a fully blinged out iMac for a new cancer researcher coming on staff this week and the purchasing vendor is telling her that Apple is having some sort of processor problem in the iMac and the delivery time is now four weeks. I did some searching on various forums and found no threads mentioning any recent problems with the iMac's Intel Core i5 or i7 processors. I even called Apple sales and went through the process of ordering an iMac to see if they were having any shipping delays and the sales representative said the iMacs ship within 48 hours. So is the hospital's purchasing vendor BSing? Anyone heard of any iAnything processor defect problems causing shipping delays?

Thanks guys, I want my wife back but the hospital won't share. :angry:

I need some advice on how to scan a book using a format that will be acceptable for both mac and pc users to be able to open and read. i'm thinking pdf right now. I don't have any high dollar adobe software, so i am looking for something cheap or free to use to scan this book and then have it all in one file to upload and share. I can also take pics of each page and do it that way if it would be easier. Book is about 200 pages.

I use pc with w7 ultimate. I have scanner and camera.

Yea the tricky part for me is putting it into something that folks can read like a book, without spending a lot of money trying out rinky dink software that doesn't work, or only works for one page or some amount smaller than 200 pages.

Just thought I would see if anyone else has tried this, without $adobe, before I commit to using some shareware.

Just thought I would see if anyone else has tried this, without $adobe, before I commit to using some shareware.
You can do pdf without adobe, and that is probably the single most universal document format. At least, I know you can create the document in linux, and I know there's some freeware and shareware utilities on windows, except not sure about the OCR part.

I'd start with at least some sort of universal image -- jpg is good. You can always convert later.

I just did a trial run with freeware CutePDF, using a batch of jpegs, and I am allowed to select a group of images and print to just one document. One minor snag is that the images are not all oriented in the proper direction, and when opening the file with Adobe reader and flipping one image, they all flip the same way. I think this can be managed on my end, and taking a pic of each page with a camera will be much quicker than using the small Canon scanner I have.

When I upgraded our 1st Gen Intel iMac to a 500Gb 7200 rpm Seagate I could really appreciate the extra speed. Looks like an SSD is the next step, and since we only use half the space on the Seagate it appears that a smaller SSD could work for us. Monkey, what kind did you use?

Also, I know Apple only supports 3Gb of RAM on this iMac model, but does anyone know if it can use more if you install it? I've heard my Macbook Pro can use 6Gb even though only 4 is supported, so I had to ask.

From what I've read, the early 2006 iMac (the one I have) can only address 2GB. Apparently, the late 2006 model can address 3GB. I don't think those models will see anything above those respective limits.

From what I've read, the early 2006 iMac (the one I have) can only address 2GB. Apparently, the late 2006 model can address 3GB. I don't think those models will see anything above those respective limits.

Thanks. It's cool that these old Macs still work as well as they do today. The 3Gb RAM did make a difference when I upgraded from 1Gb a couple of years ago.

Not sure how this would work -- 32-bit machines can only address up to between 3GB and 4GB. 64-bit machines can, of course, address much more. I don't know where the 2GB number came from.