Ye Macce Threade

Works for me. May be hit and miss. Thanks. Full link is: http://allthingsd.com/20120216/apples-mountain-lion-and-microsofts-windows-8-both-aim-to-make-desktop-more-like-mobile/

And I screwed up of course. The article I was trying to link to linked off that one....

http://allthingsd.com/20120216/meet-mountain-lion-the-latest-mac-os/

Edited by blessingx

john, whatever size you decide, check out bhphotovideo.com. they still have the deal that I got a few weeks ago - free parallels or some other software (i got parallels) and apple care for $95 (usually $250-300). i don't know what to do with parallels as i don't have a (legit) copy of windows but it was just an initial problem. now that i have gotten used to the mac os and have found mac equivalents that do the same thing that the pc program did, i am less and less inclined to get windows on this thing.

i have the 13" mba and love it. 11" would have been a bit too small for me as it is my only computer and i do enjoy watching movies/tv shows on it. yes i could get a bigger monitor but 99% of my time using it has been spent at the university library or well just outside home so dual monitors seems like a waste of money.

I have the first generation MBA 11 and am quite happy. I felt no need to upgrade with the newer model and do not miss a slightly bigger screen. My wife has a 13" MBP and compared to the MBA it feels like a 2 ton tank.

I love my 11" enough that after having it for almost a year, when I killed my last one, I got another, instead of going iwth a different size.

Thanks for your help, fellas! CJ, thanks for the tip, I'll look into that if I buy. I'm leaning toward the 11", because I really think what I want is portability. I thought maybe I'd sell off my old computers, but I'm thinking now that I'd get the MBA 11" as my mobile solution, and keep my current laptop to use as a desktop solution.

Thanks for your help, fellas! CJ, thanks for the tip, I'll look into that if I buy. I'm leaning toward the 11", because I really think what I want is portability. I thought maybe I'd sell off my old computers, but I'm thinking now that I'd get the MBA 11" as my mobile solution, and keep my current laptop to use as a desktop solution.

I'd say sell your old computers, and get a monitor to use with the macbook air, but don't buy the monitor til you've used the air as is for a month or so. I think you'll find even the 11" display is great for what most people do.

fyi, if you buy a thunderbolt monitor at the same time as a macbook air with the applecare, the applecare applies to the monitor as well. only applies to things purchased together as a bundle though.

can you wait until early march? when I had the thinkpad and the iPad, the tp stayed home for heavy duty stuff and for lots of typing whereas my books, music, labs etc went with me on the iPad. it was a great solution. when the tp passed away, the iPad alone didn't cut it for writing 20 page long reports and i got the macbook air. the mba made the iPad superfluous since the only reason the tp stayed home was the weight. given how light the mba is, i don't mind carrying it everywhere i go.

if all you need is something for content consumption on the go, depending on the price of the new iPad, you might be able to save a few bucks. that said, if you have a machine at home, the 11" would be just fine, i think, for portable use. i just can't live with a 11" screen as my only screen. the 13" does feel cramped at times but what it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in portability and weight.

I just can't live with a 11" screen as my only screen. the 13" does feel cramped at times but what it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in portability and weight.

But you HAVEN'T lived with an 11" as your only screen. In practice, it's the same resolution as the 13" macbook pro, and lots of people use that as their only screen. That's why I recommend using it for a month before you decide. I think the thunderbolt display is way overkill for a monitor for anyone not using it professionally, when you can get a big, reasonable quality monitor for under $200.

I agree with Dan. For most things I do the 11" screen works fine. When it doesn't I have a 24" Samsung monitor that shares duty as my Windows home Server monitor. Even if I won the lottery (and I owned a computer with a Thunderbolt port) I probably would not buy the Thunderbolt display.

But you HAVEN'T lived with an 11" as your only screen. In practice, it's the same resolution as the 13" macbook pro, and lots of people use that as their only screen. That's why I recommend using it for a month before you decide. I think the thunderbolt display is way overkill for a monitor for anyone not using it professionally, when you can get a big, reasonable quality monitor for under $200.

Pretty close. The cramped feel of the 11" screen may actually be because of the keyboard and surface outside it, but if not it's usually the vertical screen limit that's the constraint. Plenty of people hide the doc on the 13" MB/MBP because it takes up too much space and the 32px subtraction of the MBA may be similar (without a setting to regain).

Edited by blessingx

I actually have a suspicion it's not the keyboard, but the keyboard and spacing around (especially behind) that causes a cramped feeling for some people. It does for me (not necessarily enough to avoid, but more than my brain knows the keyboard size actually is). If that's the case, I'd still not compare to a 11" Dell 'feeling.'

I've played with the MBA 11" at the store, and the keyboard felt fine. I was worried more about living with the screen, because next to all the other computers around, it seemed so much smaller (because it IS smaller!). But living with it and looking at it regularly, I wondered if one would adjust to it and it would be fine after an adjustment period. It sounds like that has been the case for Dan and Jim. Then there's the battery life, but the fact that no one even mentions it tells me it's been a non-issue.

I have an extra 15" flat screen monitor that I am using as a second monitor for the current PC laptop that I can use if I find the need. I'd love the Thunderbolt display, but not for $1000, maybe later when/if the price comes down. I'd probably go with the 11", live with it for a bit, then decide later if I want to get rid of the current laptop PC.

Thanks for all the help!

FWIW, the 11" MBA resolution (1366x768) is the same as my 15" laptop, and most 15" laptops under about 1000$. The 13" MBA (1440x900) screen has the same resolution as the 15" MBP Standard display, and either is probably a better choice than the 13" MBP, with 1280x800 screen.

I think people may find the 11" MBA cramped due to it being a 16:9 ratio screen vs the others at 16:10. Losing a few pixels in height, relative to the others, may give you that feeling. Just a thought.

**BRENT**

I've played with the MBA 11" at the store, and the keyboard felt fine. I was worried more about living with the screen, because next to all the other computers around, it seemed so much smaller (because it IS smaller!). But living with it and looking at it regularly, I wondered if one would adjust to it and it would be fine after an adjustment period. It sounds like that has been the case for Dan and Jim. Then there's the battery life, but the fact that no one even mentions it tells me it's been a non-issue.

I have an extra 15" flat screen monitor that I am using as a second monitor for the current PC laptop that I can use if I find the need. I'd love the Thunderbolt display, but not for $1000, maybe later when/if the price comes down. I'd probably go with the 11", live with it for a bit, then decide later if I want to get rid of the current laptop PC.

Thanks for all the help!

John,

I have the 11" Air and love it. Carry it with me everyday. Never carry my 15" MBP when I travel anymore but I do use it at home sometimes (usually when the battery dies on the 11"). The screen size is fine and the and keyboard is great. If I was doing serious work, I would use an external monitor though. Would probably use one even with a 15" laptop unless I were traveling. I do really wish the battery lasted longer - that is my only complaint. I wouldn't trade it for the 13" Air because of the battery though. I love how light and small the 11" is.

Thanks, Brent and Shelly!

I'm convinced now that the screen should be fine. I thought the battery was ok until Shelly wrote. ;)

JK ... I do want something I can easily carry everywhere and can run Lion, Win7, and Win XP. It is amazing that something that size could do all this. I guess battery life is the compromise. I'll probably end up keeping a bigger laptop around to have on my desktop and as a backup, but we'll see.

Actually using the MBA and the iPad works well for me and actually helps with the battery life on the MBA. Most email checking and responding as well as interwebz is done on the iPad. I also keep the brightness toned down and have a short window for turning off the screen when on battery. It comes back up quick enough with the flash storage that it has never really been a problem.

Thanks, Brent and Shelly!

I'm convinced now that the screen should be fine. I thought the battery was ok until Shelly wrote. wink.png

JK ... I do want something I can easily carry everywhere and can run Lion, Win7, and Win XP. It is amazing that something that size could do all this. I guess battery life is the compromise. I'll probably end up keeping a bigger laptop around to have on my desktop and as a backup, but we'll see.

Duracell Powerpack should do the trick.

51lHOF4v6RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jim's suggestion is a good one. I got spoiled by the ipad's week long battery and get annoyed that I have to charge the Air. :D