Ye Macce Threade

I like the idea of getting a refurb, but I don't like the prospect of actually getting a refurb. I like my stuff new. I should probably just get over that. All that said, the one I linked to is pretty tempting, but I kind of want the SSD+internal HD. And I don't want to install it myself. Opening up the iMac is not fun.

Just did a Safari update on a first gen BlackBook and now in boot load spinning death. Any suggestions?

Try rebooting while holding down the shift key, to disable all the extras that load at the start (kinda like safe-mode). Another thing to try is re-setting the PRAM by booting while holding the cmd-opt-p-r keys till you hear the mac chime again and the screen goes black again.

If that doesn't help, boot from a start up/install DVD by holding down the "c" key when you boot, and then try running a disk repair and fix permissions with disk utility. (or boot while holding option, and choose the boot up disk from the list)

PS: if you are running OS 10.7.3 you may have an emergency restore partition installed that you can boot from, but I've never done that. If you have it can boot from it, you can run disk utility from that.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else her using a hybrid hard drive (like Momentus XT) with Sophos antivirus for Mac?

I'm using a 750GB hybrid drive now, which has the increased 8GB SSD portion (twice that of the 500GB hybrid). I was happy with the hybrid until I installed Sophos Antivirus software, and that might be messing with the algorythmns used to store the most accessed files in the SSD portion. I think that after a full scan is completed that my most frequently used apps have to be opened and closed several times in order to get them to launch as fast as usual again. It could also be an effect of it scanning every file for infection when I access them.

The only viruses it found were a couple of PC viruses as attachments in emails which were sent from spammers a few years ago but not deleted yet, and in a couple of PC jail breaking tools downloaded as a bit torrent which I never tried. An SSD is probably still the best way to go, but I'm just not willing to spend $800 for a 512GB SSD yet - I could almost buy my daughter a new Macbook for college with that.

As for external Thunderbolt drives - Seagate is selling a $99 Thunderbolt adapter (without cable) for the GoFlex portable drives that makes the drives 40% faster than FW800 when writing, but reads are only 13% faster. I think I may already be getting those speeds with my USB 3.0 GoFlex drive with USB 3.0 express card. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/01/seagate-starts-selling-goflex-portable-thunderbolt-adapter/. To get the true Thunderbolt speed improvements the drive likely needs to be an SSD, but something like that is $450 for a 120Gb external (Elgato)!

get rid of Sophos. worthless to have installed, problem solved.

Would you recommend anything for anti-virus? I've been using Mac since 1986 and never bought an anti-virus app in all these years. It just seems that in the past year there have been 3 different outbreaks (one was from a security flaw in MS word, and this newest one due to Java, plus Macdefender that required you to allow the trojan to install).