Ye Macce Threade

So I'm in the market for a new desktop. If I buy through Amazon, I have a gift cert and reward points that will lower the price a bunch. But is it better to buy directly from Apple for some reason?

The main benefit from buying from Apple is if you are going to buy the Apple Care coverage at the same time - then Apple will automatically register the Applecare to the device, along with all the accessories that you bought at the same time as the Mac and Apple Care.

Tax is the incentive to go with third parties now on Amazon (in those states like CA where Amazon proper charges tax, but Amazon-filled/third parties don't).

Still for something like Apple products safety with a registered reseller seems best. Dinny, a GC outweights the slight inconvenience of Applecare registration in my book. Or buy Applecare later from Apple as Shelly mentioned.

Only significant downside with Amazon IMO is the sometime long wait for new products.

Edited by blessingx

I've been looking around but haven't been able to find any good freeware for mac. something cheap is ok. don't want to spend too much money.

A lot of lab work requires collecting data and doing calculations with it. They don't let us save the data in usable files and we only receive print outs which make working with this stuff very annoying. So far I have been manually entering the data and using excel to do the necessary calculations so somewhat automate the process. It would save me a butt load of time if I could scan the data and have the numbers appear in a text file from where i could copy/paste them into excel.

All the machines in the house are now apple laptops and the 10 year old sony is just serving as a print server. Can't handle anything else so looking for something that is mac native or at least compatible with it.

Suggestions guys? Thanks.

So what you're really saying is the quality and desirability of apple's products result in their holding their value for a much longer period of time than similar products from other companies.

I agree. I think it's because they're methodical with their updates, and pay attention to the details necessary to make a quality product.

The new imac won't come out til Ivy Bridge is ready. And even then, there's no guarantee it's a huge advantage over the current sandy bridge. Especially since no one is really CPU bound anymore. Get the computer you need when you need it.