Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD/SACD player

Just got this in yesterday and cold right out of the box, put a big smile on my face. This thing has gobs of PRAT and I now have BASS like I never had before. BIG SOUND out of this black box. Hate to use this cliche but I am hearing things (minute details) that I never heard before. Could be a keeper.

It'd be interesting to know what the functional differences are with the $2200 SA-15S2 -- from which this is pretty clearly derived.

SA15S2_Rear-96dpi-w1200.jpg

SA15S2_Front-96dpi-w1200.jpg

Looking at the respective specs -- the only listed, non-cosmetic change is the power transformer. "Large-capacity toroidal in copper-shielded case."

So far:

PROS: SOUND, it's fat and super dynamic

CONS: No balanced out, only toslink in, filter(s) which is really one filter on or off even though it says 1 and 2, and they are only selectable with remote and display is only on or off with remote, no dimming. OM says DO NOT CLOSE TRAY MANUALLY OR YOU WILL DAMAGE TRANSPORT...yikes.

Differences between Pearl and SA 15 include: Copper chasis, supposedly upgraded components such as caps and resistors, caps are in copper cans. RCA's are machined from stock. Custom transport that is different design and materials than SA15. Solid aluminum top and bottom plate. Pearl weighs between 30 and 40lbs. Two or three more ferrite chokes on wiring inside and the zen of Ken Ishiwata.

First hicup this morning with the Pearl. Won't play Sonopress SACD Jazz Sampler from 2005. Display says "Can't Read" but it will play CD layer. Will have to randomly sample the 200 or so SACD's I have to see if this happens again. I know there were some issues with Sonopress SACD's in the past but this one will play on my Marantz SA11S1.

Black Pearl as usual like the SA-7S1 poor value No surround SACD with HDMI. More advanced and far cheaper is the superb Sony XA5400ES Kal Rubinson Stereophile says he has not heard a better SACD/CD player and I agree with him For RB CD it sounds as good as my upgraded CD94. I was very disappointed with the overweight SA-7S1 sold it after a 750 hour burn in,my buyer put it up for sale I month later.

Congrats on the new toy. Have you tried the optical in yet?

Have not and I have been away from the Pearl for several days and if I am lucky will get a listen tonight.

I am sure the toslink in will sound (almost) every bit as good as the machine itself playing a disc. Also, found it interesting that the specs say it will play MP3 and WMA encoded (read compressed) discs burned on a PC. I am sure there are other CDP's that will do this but I never noticed on any machine I ever had except for maybe one of the "throw away when it breaks" Philips cheapies. Doubt seriously I will ever use this feature.