usb amp dac special

NotoriousBIG_PJ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case, in the original form over on hf:

Just a few words about some things.

Power wire that fell out was screw set and solid core. It would have to take quite a bit to take it out.

The volume control knob is pressure set (not set screw). The Alps potentiometer was set with a ratchet for the final securing and has a set divot in the panel. The play in the knob is from being knocked around during shipping and the knob should only need a push back in.

All analog parts were set so that signal wiring would be as far away as possible from the transformer and power parts. The same goes with the analog signal wiring which is the line that would be the most affected. The highly visible transformer on the right is fully shielded. EM on the axial from the PSU was very low and floor noise was not noticible even with high sensitivity, low ohm full range speakers.

USB runs on a very specific line impedance range and additional solder joints along with not having very well matched impedance lines can cause problems if you want the best accuracy on the line. PCB mounted gives the best result.

Biggie told me that the box was pretty damaged when he received it. That was a brand new box as well.

I am sending him the refund upfront. He asked and I am obliging.

In this "issue" I have done as asked by Biggie and will continue to do so.

In all honesty, I couldn't imagine a situation of sending someone something that did not work or was not in working order. It wouldn't be worth the effort or dealing with all of the extra hassle. If that was the situation, I would have just sent him back the money and ended it instead of allowing this to continue and giving him what he had waited for.

The item got damaged in shipping, there is just no way that much of these kind of issues with set screw wires could have come undone on their own (done with a racheting screwdiver of which many people have seen this bit of kit at just about every recent meet in the Chicago area) or even with the pressure set volume knob.

I was quick to get on the claim in the interest of time and the parties involved.

It isn't exactly a good feeling to be called names or be put into groups of people who have stolen and continue to do so when you were doing as asked as quickly as you could. Putting it in the mail, only to find that the mail looks to have lost your package, etc. Then, to have something you worked on for many, many hours be abused and break much to the dismay of the person who you really want to satisfy. It makes you feel horrible and will quite literally make you loose sleep if you take things personally. I can understand everything that Biggie is requesting and why. It is the same thing I would have done and he has been very gracious.

The point of the matter is that this was an issue between two parties with attention being brought for people with similar issues. Of which, one person had something in progress and another had a check for a small amount of money which was already en route. The amount of money here was not more than a few hundred dollars which was wrapped up as parts cost and was the exception to the rule.

This isn't meant as an excuse, but as an explanation for anyone who has been following along.

Sincerely,

Stacy

Biggie, post the pics so that she can't pull this crap on anyone else. People need to be able to see for themselves, and read comments like those in this thread so she can't do this to anyone else again. She seems to truly believe her shit doesn't stink, as they say. This needs to be outted big time. Pics and technical comments asap.

The only way for her to save whatever remaining dignity and credibility she has left is to state that this was not an acceptable effort, that she will refund biggie all $$ and will pick up return shipping, and finally that she will be taking a break from MOT until such time as she can offer a product that actually belongs in the stream of commerce.

Am I just seeing things, or is the power supply board really only insulated from the case by some packaging tape?

I thought it was some kind of sheet plastic like Nate said until...

Holy fuck, is that power supply screwed directly to the chassis with a piece of goddamn PACKING TAPE under it?!?!

The circled area on the power wires looks like a solder splash. The IEC connector wiring is not heatshrinked, and the ground tab appears to be unconnected :eek: She seems to have little understanding of power wiring conventions in North America for equipment such as this. I would think that this info is plastered around the DIY section on HF if one wanted to search for it, as well as lots of other avenues to find it. The mounting of the PSU board is an essay in fail all by itself.

Strange with all of -=her=- braided minis, etc. that the wire twists are done so poorly here.

I don't get too excited about the uncovered connections at the IEC, I've been known to do that from time to time as well. But my days of not connection safety ground are long over.

A few times I have started soldering on the AC input connections...while a cable was plugged in. Try it, see what happens

Guest sachu
A few times I have started soldering on the AC input connections...while a cable was plugged in. Try it, see what happens

Heh,I've done that...:rolleyes: When i've been a bit too impatient.

It's also fun to start soldering half-asleep on a board with high voltage caps that haven't been discharged. More effective than coffee.

Replying here since it would probably be inappropriate for me to do so on the other site...

While I've only built one amp, and do not hold a professionals opinion on this, I think It's pretty obvious that shipping could not have been the whole problem here. This unit looks designed to fail IMO, and I have to wonder if that was indeed the intention. It's not beyond the scope of probability that she was in over her head, couldn't get the unit to work right, and as such packed it in such a way that it could be blamed on shipping. Her prior posts sure seem to not only support this, but actually lay the groundwork.

In either case the workmanship is sub-par, and I would consider her products as 'buyer beware'. That's not even mentioning the false promises and time factor.

I agree with you on this. Whether it was intended to fail or if she is actually that completely incompetent, I don't know, but she clearly did plan on passing the blame to the shipping company should anything go wrong. I've had faults occur in shipping (and am currently dealing with one right now), but unless the unit was physically damaged I'll always accept full responsibility for not properly ensuring it could survive the rough treatment that packages go through. Sure, it really sucks to have to apologize to the customer for the problem and eat the shipping costs to have it repaired, but if you sent a unit to somebody in good faith expecting it to work properly you wouldn't be making a point out of how ready you are to file a claim with the shipper. The shipping insurance is just that, insurance in case the unexpected happens, you don't fucking PLAN on it breaking! :basement:

Sorry, it just annoys me when I see people getting away with shit like this without really getting their feet held to the fire. I suspect only a small number of people will end up actually seeing those pictures in the thread over there that's been moved to the feedback forum (especially since its separate from her regular feedback thread), so people will think it was just caused by shipping damage and that's all.

Like a lot (all?) of us, I work in a profession where second-rate work product is a deal-breaker. If I turn in something less than excellent, I get shit for it. I'm constantly amazed by the lack of personal pride people take in their work, their hobbies, whatever. I am constantly amazed and impressed by the hardcore DIYers here who offer their services for either free or far less than market simply because it's a passion. You guys keep DIY alive. Because credibility and reputation take centuries to build and seconds to fall.