Apple Tablet

I have so many ideas for the ipad. I really think I am gonna learn to program again.

I've been slowly trying to learn how to program for the iPhone... I'm going to step up my efforts now, since I can think of a ton of cool stuff that's now possible with a larger screen.

I didn't agree. I thought they sounded like complete Luddites. I may be in shock at the lack of choice, but that is nothing new to me with Macs or other devices that have been around. I would recommend a Mac to people who wanted a general everyday get stuff done computer any day, as long as they can afford it. But the idea that the iPad is going to be a more efficient, simple device to do actual work on seems to be a tad far fetched. Its unlikely that it is going to be more simple for most work applications, you still click the icon, drag stuff around and type it seems. It will probably require more time to perform steps. Because you can't see its file hierarchy doesn't automatically make it so IMO, this is not coming off as any more intuitive then an iTouch which most people wouldn't probably want to use as their main device.

Its not more efficient to use necessarily running only one app at a time either I would think, unless you just need CPU power and have already programmed the commands. It seems they are happy that there is less to understand because they have less choices and abilities of the device. Why would you celebrate that? This things OS reminds me of those on-boot PC OS that you can instantly boot to to do simple tasks. If you wanted that on your PC only, you could do it, it just seemed idiotic before to most people. Certainly not revolutionary to dramatically limit devices?

I wouldn't look at it as an improvement to today's modern computing. I look at it in the same way I look at a kiosk in a library or bookstore that is locked down so that it only runs an internet browser. Sure, their are plenty of apps online, you can watch videos, browse, listen to music, even type and save a document with just a browser and in many intuitive ways (helps if you have flash and tabs IMO). But its not at an advantage.

Also the car analogy was pretty piss poor. People think that all cars with an automatic transmission are able to "just work" and require no maintenance knowledge have a expensive road ahead of them.

They could very well be be right about the future of computing being catered to those who would wish to remain ignorant of how it works to focus on the important task they need it for. I hope that doesn't backfire when what is supposed to "just work" just doesn't and they are forced to rely on the corporation to fix it as no one else will be allowed and very few will know the trade secrets to be able to like we now must do with dedicated devices with protected software.

Manaox2, I agree with some of what you say, but I think you're placing yourself too much in the position of someone who has experience with computers. I bought an iPod Touch to my dad for his birthday and he figured out by himself in a matter of weeks how pretty much everything works. On the other hand, he's still struggling to do basic tasks on his PC after 10 years of using it and calls me every week or so to get technical assistance. The iPad won't change a thing for power users (I hate that expression), in fact it will probably slow down their work flow, but for the average non-technical user, it will be much more intuitive than OS X or Windows and will make their life much easier.

My dad is the same way, usually he can barely figure out how to use a camera (He also is deathly afraid of technology ruining his life, so this probably won't help sadly). I guess your right though. The geeks wanted a device for them and that is not what they got. To me, it acts more like a cool toy, thats mostly why I disagree associating it with being the preferred device for important work. I can see though that people who perceive as a toy instead of a computer may be able to break away from that image that frightens them and learn to use it.

If I were Apple, thats how I would advertise it though, like they did the iTouch and iPhone and not as a netbook replacement (not a great comparison in my opinion). This thing is about as attractive as DRM music to me. Yeah, its good and I could use it, but there seems to be better for cheaper. "Jack of some trades, master of none" is something that bugs me. If I had no faith in being able to use technology I could use to better my life properly, I can see how this could be what I would seek I suppose.

It's what netbooks were intended to be. It's a toy for people who want a toy. It's a simple computer for people that want a simple computer. It's a very flexible, easy to program, light computer that can do almost anything, given a little creativity. It's just a new direction, not a rehashing of things that didn't work in the past.

It's what netbooks were intended to be. It's a toy for people who want a toy. It's a simple computer for people that want a simple computer. It's a very flexible, easy to program, light computer that can do almost anything, given a little creativity. It's just a new direction, not a rehashing of things that didn't work in the past.

That makes sense. I saw it differently, likely because my laptop is about the equivalent of a netbook these days in specs, and I'm guessing so are many people who have actually used a netbook. Its not quite as flexible IMO though. It doesn't have the IO options to be. It has about the same flexibility as my unlocked PSP or maybe others unlocked iTouch or iPhone, in some areas more, in some areas less. I will admit that it has a good amount more solely due to having a physically larger display.

Definitely not saying it isn't useful or isn't going to sell well. Mostly saying that it is not a serious tool IMO and that most people who would buy it the way they are advertising it already have a decent tool for almost all of its functions.

I liked that article and I think they absolutely hit the nail on the head. I also do not think all tech-saavy users are decrying the ipad (Ok well maybe everyone thinks the name is pretty lame). I think you can see it right here and in the work place that many are seeing how it can be used to solve specific problems for them. That is what computers should be, problem solving tools, not problem creating tools. The creativity will now be in thinking up new ways to use the device and extend its functionality in new directions. I may have just joined the cult of Steve.

@Dusty - There are many uses that will be realtively platform independent. I plan on using it as a VNC remote device for both Windows and OSX machines. It will be very much more functional than my Touch just by virtue of the larger screen.

Edited by morphsci

Great article. Empirically most people want to simply use the computer and could care less how it works. The vast majority end up being tinkerers ala shade tree mechanics for cars. I really don't have time to diagnose and correct issues ... and increasingly don't have the inclination either. Intuitiveness is pure genius and is the epitome of OS achievement.

I just realized that I'm the Luddite if computers end up going this way. Not because I'll be put out of job, but that I worry about the impact of the technology being negative on my life. Not because its intuitive, but because its a step back IMO to my productivity to make it so if I were to be expected to use it instead. Its funny to me how some don't have the inclination to fix things, but consider having to program something new to do what they really want or need over again as being good. I do get that there are people like that and how that can appeal to some as tinkering appeals to me but the average person doesn't seem that way. Maybe the zeitgeist community will share and equal the playing field, but why waste resources on a less ergonomic less efficient device whose only real difference is mostly in the way its GUI acts. Its great for some people just want something reliable for basic tasks, but I sincerely hope it doesn't become standard so that technology will continue to improve on a basic level at the rate it is now.

The way supercomputing works is you have a large remote system where the work is done, and a small client system where you manipulate the results. This is just taking that cocept home. The future isn't less powerful computers, it's easier access to more powerful computers. You pick your interface, with the features you find important.

The way supercomputing works is you have a large remote system where the work is done, and a small client system where you manipulate the results. This is just taking that cocept home. The future isn't less powerful computers, it's easier access to more powerful computers. You pick your interface, with the features you find important.

I'm guessing taking that concept home means you have the future Mac and PC as the remote access computer and the future iPad like devices as the small client computers. In that idea, it sounds as though the iPad is used as a remote control using something like VNC. Its doesn't sound like it would still be supercomputing when on a small scale and ideally I wouldn't want to own more then one device for easy access to all my resources.

It also sounds like the iPad is related to making computer overall more powerful and not related to making computers less powerful somehow that your hinting at (which it is IMO).

@Dusty - There are many uses that will be realtively platform independent. I plan on using it as a VNC remote device for both Windows and OSX machines. It will be very much more functional than my Touch just by virtue of the larger screen.
I have to admit to just not getting that. So you have a bigger screen, so what? Do you really want a remote that's so busy that you need that much more real estate? I mean, the iTouch was already 320x480.

EDIT: Of course, as soon as I wrote that, I thought, "processor speed?" Twice, basically. Now that makes things completely different.