Apple Tablet

I cannot use my ipad upstairs in the bedroom unless I am sitting at the foot of the bed - obviously that is not the most convenient setup - because the wireless signal is too low. I have a two story house, my router (Linksys WRT54G) is downstairs, the bedroom is upstairs and at the other end of the house. I don't want to move the router because it is hardwired to the tv and PS3. I can use my laptop in bed, just not the ipad. Do you think it would be best to get an Airport Express to extend the wireless or get an Airport Extreme (or both). I think I remember reading that 5Ghz doesn't work as well as 2.4Ghz signals in a place with a lot of walls, but that could have been a bunch of BS.

The Airport Extreme (one from about a revision or two ago) had a really great range compared to Linksys routers I had previously or the Actiontec router (I need to use it for FiOS) I'm using right now. With the Extreme, I never saw a drop in signal strength throughout my house, out in the yard, or at opposite end of the house down in my basement. With both Linksy and Actiontec routers, I saw/see drop in signal strength, though not enough to cause any issues.

I cannot use my ipad upstairs in the bedroom unless I am sitting at the foot of the bed - obviously that is not the most convenient setup - because the wireless signal is too low. I have a two story house, my router (Linksys WRT54G) is downstairs, the bedroom is upstairs and at the other end of the house. I don't want to move the router because it is hardwired to the tv and PS3. I can use my laptop in bed, just not the ipad. Do you think it would be best to get an Airport Express to extend the wireless or get an Airport Extreme (or both). I think I remember reading that 5Ghz doesn't work as well as 2.4Ghz signals in a place with a lot of walls, but that could have been a bunch of BS.

Shelly, I had the same problem years ago, and ended up getting a second WRT54G for the first floor of my house. It's worked well, but it was a pain to configure. I can't even remember how I did it - I had tech support on the phone and they walked me through it. I'm very interested to know if the Extreme resolves your problem for future reference... if one of my current routers dies, I'd prob look for a new solution like the Extreme.

OK, seems like Extreme is the way to go. I like the idea of connecting a harddrive to it. (Not sure that this is possible with the Linksys.)

Keep in mind hard drive sharing on Airport is rather slow. I was using it to share between my Macs and wife's Windows machine but eventually gave up since its performance got to be too frustrating.

I had read about that, but also read that if you don't really know what you're doing, you might brick your unit. True?

True. That is also true anytime you upgrade your firmware, stock or DDWRT. If you can follow the instructions to the letter and don't skimp on the time needed to power cycle properly in the instructions, should be fine.

Wireless routers are often recommended to be placed on the upper floors to have the best range. If you get the Extreme, maybe you can place it there?

I would prefer to keep the router hardwired to the main tv/ps3 which would require them to be on the first floor.

Smeggy: I would be very interested to hear how the Extreme works out for you in terms of range.

Edit: Just saw the thing about tomato/ddwrt since my parents also have a WRT54G.

My Extreme didn't help the range over the previous crappy D-Link or a Express, but it sounds like others have had better luck.

For those curious of a laptop conversion case was ever going to make it to market...

KeyCase iPad Folio packs a Bluetooth keyboard, scores FCC approval -- Engadget

I have two older Extremes, one running 2.4Hgz 802.11b/g for older gear, and one at 5Ghz 801.11n for all the Macs, Apple TV and Airport Extremes.

I love the Airport Extreme's long range. I have both in our loft in the center of the second floor, and I still have good coverage at both ends of the basement (Home Theater at one end of basement with PS3 and Wii online, and the main headphone rig at the other end of basement with Airport Express > PWD).

So far so good. Were getting good signal strength everywhere and it hasn't pooped out yet, though it does run hot compared to the other routers I've come across, also a lot heavier. One oddity, I couldn't get my hdd to be recognized with the AE, if I connect it to my WD WINTV live that's attached to the Ae it's fine *shrugs*

All in all, not too shabby. I have the mini plugged into the AE and i turned off the 'G' airport on the old mini and it runs my vnc quite well via iPad. Nice and snappy, even playing flash video. I'll probably get a USB N stick later for it.