What are you reading now?

grawk

Fables.png

I'm about halfway through the Fables series. I started reading it after playing episode one of The Wolf Among Us. Reading it on the iPad has been a delight. It is a very enjoyable series.

One thing though, I had no idea reading comics could be this expensive. ~$10 for each volume adds up fast. As far as looking at entertainment per dollar goes comics as a medium do not come out very well.

Edited by TMoney

• 4 weeks later...

On Dusty's recommendation, 

11402002.jpg

I'll probably finish it tomorrow.  I'm really liking it.  It's almost too campy at times, but the profanity counters that nicely.

On a side note, my wife is reading this, which alerted her to the fact that Seanan McGuire is an active writer of Buffy (and other) fan fiction.  Now, even more than before she mentioned this to me, I'm basically reading this as a Buffy novel.  

Dominic is basically a Wesley/Angel mashup and the Covenant is basically the Watcher Council.

Hooray!  (celebrates)

She herself would probably consider that a compliment.  She has taken many things from him, but then she adds her own take on them.  She likes to kill characters, but it's not like Whedon kills characters (not when I heard him explain why he kills characters in his talk at the last Comic Con), and as you say, this one is campier than I think even Whedon would go (I hear the mice in the voices of the Flushed Away slugs).

I, on the other hand, am avidly reading this:

51VjIorIPIL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

...and am enjoying as much it as every other October Daye novel.  She really knows how to amp up the action with every book, and

it's a nice take on "power creep".

Eleanor (my missus) has read one or two by her as well, written under a pseudonym. She really liked them.

I finished at 3am (bad epileptic!). Before I read more McGuire, I must read Maddaddam, by Atwood. I read Year of the Flood (sequel to Oryx and Crake) earlier this month, and it's shaping up to be an amazing trilogy.

Yeah, I actually learned of her through Feed/Deadline/Blackout (the Newsflesh trilogy), and from there to the October Daye stuff.

And yeah, I'm not saying you have to read them all.  I cycle through different things -- Hangman's Daughter and Tim Powers on my kindle, October Daye and Dresden Files in paperback, and in both cases, I try to alternate every other book from one of my series to a standalone.  I'm just expressing my love for both those serieses.

Yeah, I actually learned of her through Feed/Deadline/Blackout (the Newsflesh trilogy), and from there to the October Daye stuff.

And yeah, I'm not saying you have to read them all.  I cycle through different things -- Hangman's Daughter and Tim Powers on my kindle, October Daye and Dresden Files in paperback, and in both cases, I try to alternate every other book from one of my series to a standalone.  I'm just expressing my love for both those serieses.

My local library branch has a copy of the first October Daye.  O happy day.

Article: A Speck in the Sea
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/magazine/a-speck-in-the-sea.html

Looking back, John Aldridge knew it was a stupid move. When you’re alone on the deck of a lobster boat in the middle of the night, 40 miles off the tip of Long Island, you don’t take chances. But he had work to do: He needed to start pumping water into the Anna Mary’s holding tanks to chill, so that when he and his partner, Anthony Sosinski, reached their first string of traps a few miles farther south, the water would be cold enough to keep the lobsters alive for the return trip. In order to get to the tanks, he had to open a metal hatch on the deck. And the hatch was covered by two 35-gallon Coleman coolers, giant plastic insulated ice chests that he and Sosinski filled before leaving the dock in Montauk harbor seven hours earlier. The coolers, full, weighed about 200 pounds, and the only way for Aldridge to move them alone was to snag a box hook onto the plastic handle of the bottom one, brace his legs, lean back and pull with all his might.

And then the handle snapped.

Edited by blessingx

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's about zombies and bloggers.  It's actually a brilliant title for the book, considering.  It's what drew me to the series to begin with.

Yeah, Feed was outstanding.  Deadline gets a little mopey, but Blackout makes it worth reading the entire trilogy.  I'm all caught up on October Daye, myself, but I've got Parasite next on the Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant shelf, when next I get around to reading something by her.

Oh, and me:  I finally started The Ocean at the End of the Lane.  Still working my way through Declare electronically.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't logged on in a while... been too busy reading!  8)

VALIS%281stEd%29.jpg

Anywho, finally plowed through Philip K. Dick's Valis. Wow is it ever different from some of his more conventional sci-fi fare. I really enjoyed it. At times you feel like he believes what he wrote, at times you feel like he doesn't. Its very self-aware and very complicated. It is not hard to see why it is Dick's most academically studied book. I still think about it weeks after finishing it.

91jQbQf8lTL._SL1500_.jpg

Also got through The Everything Store by Brad Stone. One of the better business books I have read. Its a remarkable meditation on commerce in the 21st century and I strongly recommend it for anyone interested in the retail world. Jeff Bezos is an unstoppable machine set on world domination.