Audio GD 19MK3

regal

The Pico is very nice but after spending time with it for 3 weeks, I suppose I could use something more neutral.

What do you mean by that? Too dark, too bright? I didn't find the Pico particularly colored myself, but I'm always curious to hear different opinions.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the same guys QC the chips?

QC or not, A hardwired silicon filter and a laser trimmed R2R DAC chip sound better than sigma-delta, ask Erno Borbely, John Swenson, Jocko Homo, or Louis Motek what they think about sigma-delta chips.

I also have an Audio Alchemy PMD100+1862+Cetoole output (thanks for the board Colin) and this AudioGD is right up there with it in SQ.

What do you mean by that? Too dark, too bright? I didn't find the Pico particularly colored myself, but I'm always curious to hear different opinions.

Hmm... it's a bit warmish. The problem is I'm not sure whether this is due to the amp or the DAC and I have no Ipod and LOD to test this. I have a feeling it's the amp though as the other day, I had a Mini^3 (standard edition IIRC) to compare and it sounded less colored.

:palm:

GPH asked for my opinion regarding the Pico's coloration and I merely responded to that. Due to the Pico's inability to function as line-out only, the signal actually goes through the amplification stage whether you use it as DAC-only or not and hence, my original deduction. The Mini^3 only served to confirm that.

If you have a different opinion then I'm all ears.

QC or not, A hardwired silicon filter and a laser trimmed R2R DAC chip sound better than sigma-delta, ask Erno Borbely, John Swenson, Jocko Homo, or Louis Motek what they think about sigma-delta chips..

Why would I give a fuck what they said? Just because they have goofy sounding names? Should I also ask Steve jobs what he thinks of Windows 7? This isn't Head-Fi, appeals to "authority" are dealt with severely. :chair::basement:

Edited by morphsci

I have to admit that I am at once intrigued by and skeptical of the audio-gd stuff. But I agree that its nice to see the good chipses in use.

They seem to be producing a LOT of new designs in a VERY small amount of time considering the apparent small size of the company. I can't see how they would properly optimising any of them.

GPH asked for my opinion regarding the Pico's coloration and I merely responded to that. Due to the Pico's inability to function as line-out only, the signal actually goes through the amplification stage whether you use it as DAC-only or not and hence, my original deduction. The Mini^3 only served to confirm that.

If you have a different opinion then I'm all ears.

So, you put the "warmish" output from the Pico DAC & amp into the M^3 and it comes out more neutral or coldish? All that might prove is that the M^3 is not dead neutral. :palm: :palm:

Mini^3 <> M^3

i'm surprised that my comment about the vintage-ish dacs being mediocre has stood un-argued. i usually stay out of those threads, especially since my opinion includes modded units on display at canjam.

Modded units such as? And who modded them and what did they do? Foo foo silver wire mods and blackgates galore, or did they actually do something to them like good output stage, good clocking, etc.

i'm surprised that my comment about the vintage-ish dacs being mediocre has stood un-argued. i usually stay out of those threads, especially since my opinion includes modded units on display at canjam.
Not me, man, I don't see what all the hoopla is about, myself, and have said so before. Albeit, specifically about Parasound, not in general. Edited by Dusty Chalk