The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

We enjoyed it immensely. Though Greg Kot, the reviewer for the Chicago Tribune thought Ferry phoned in the first set and that the sound was muddy. I enjoyed the first set a lot, especially since they did "If There Is Something" from the first Roxy album. Chris Spedding was on guitar and Paul Thompson (original Roxy band member) on drums. And a woman whose name I did not catch on saxes picking up the Andy MacKay parts in the Roxy songs. He did a mix of old, new, Roxy and solo and in the end it was an excellent show.

Just got back home from Lincoln Hall. Allison and I saw the latest Guitar Masters group, currently consisting of Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, and Stephen Bennet. It was pretty phenomenal. Second time seeing Mckee and I'd really been wanting to see Dufour so this was a great opportunity.

Saw Murder By Death last night at a little place about 15 minutes from me. They were trying to hit some smaller towns/venues, and I have to say I'm thrilled they did. Absolutely great show. They played about 90 minutes, and sounded fantastic. Adam's vocals keep getting better, and his guitar work is better than I remembered. Sarah absolutely rocked the cello, and the rhythm section killed it. They've also added a 5th member back in, playing keyboards, accordian and trumpet. They hit all 5 albums, and threw a cover of a verse and chorus of "Radar Love" into the middle of one of their own songs for good measure. Throw in a preview of two new tracks and the pain I'm feeling now (they didn't go on until 11... ugh!) is well worth it.

Sounds great, Ian, glad you had fun even at the cost of lack of sleep!

I have two shows at much more civilized times this weekend. Tomorrow night we are seeing Joshua Redman and Brad Mehldau dueting, and Mikeymad will be joining Claire, Alden and me. Sunday night is Jim Hall Quartet celebrating his 80th birthday. Grahame and Joanne are joining Claire and me for that one, so it is a Head-Case SF Jazz weekend!

Just got back from Voodoo Fest last weekend. Tons of great NOLA music from Dr. John to Pres Hall to the Original Meters, plus other highlights including Soundgarden, Mastodon, Steve Angello (best set of the weekend).

Next weekend its off to my first Bear Creek in Live Oak, FL! I'm excited to return to the Spirit of Suwanee music park. I went to the Allman Bros' Wanee festival there back in the summer of 2009. Bear Creek is again a lot of great NOLA funk/r&b, plus Medeski Martin and Wood and Trey Anastasio are headlining.

Saw Steven Wilson in Boston, absolutely amazing concert. Grace For Drowning translates really well to the live setting (concert had an art house-ish feel with the opening songs the band were playing behind a semi transparent curtain with videos from the Grace Blu-Ray playing, then the curtain was lifted and the videos continued on the rear screen. All in all the music synced up perfectly) and the entire band were rocking really hard. Photobucket is being dumb and I am tired so here are some wonky pics smile.png

swg1.jpg

swg2.jpg

swg3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a great triple-header last night in Cambridge (TT The Bears):

- The Curtain Society - great local group, been around since the late 80's

- Black Swan Lane - excellent wall-of-guitar-sound band influenced by the Chameleons, most of them from Manchester where the Chameleons came from

- ChameleonsVox - Mark Burgess and John Lever from the Chameleons, plus others

All 3 bands were fantastic, with one of the guitarists from Black Swan Lane doing double-duty with ChameleonsVox. The music was loud, tight, and with that impromptu feeling of a good live band (IE, not always 100% true to recoding, but creative and always entertaining). I also had a feel-good moment when I finagled a backstage visit for a woman I met; she had just got out of the hospital after a month-long visit due to bacterial menengitis (and near death).

She has been a Chameleons fan for > 20 years but had never seen them or the solo spin-offs; and the look on her face when they performed was awesome. Getting her and her sister backstage was amazing for them and me (I've been lucky enough to meet Mark before, but meeting the others was great as well). All in all, a fantastic night, though I'm paying for it now....even 2 cups of coffee later.

Edited by skullguise

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went to Yoshi's SF to see Bobby Hutcherson's 71st birthday show and it was amazing. He now wears an oxygen tube in his nose full time with a very long hose to the back stage. Warren Wolf doubled on vibes, Anthony Wilson played guitar and other great players, but Bobby was the true star. Such a showman and wonderful spirit and he never ever hits a wrong note.

Couple of pics I wasn't supposed to take, including a blurry pic of Kaz, the club owner, giving him a cake. Bobby said it was perfect that it didn't have candles: "I'm out of breath and couldn't blow out a single candle."

6cd2c836-9075-c664.jpg

6cd2c836-9085-7f73.jpg

6cd2c836-90a2-3b3f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UPCOMING SHOWS

3/11/12

The SCOTT AMENDOLA TRIO

Back for more! Always a great experience, Scott and Co. bring their “A” game to Dana Street and offer you a unique musical perspective that is rarely found at any venue in the Bay Area…and we offer it, up close and personal. The early show start gets you home in plenty of time to be rested for work the next day and well-adjusted to the Daylight Savings time change.

Tickets now on sale.

Sunday, March 11th @ 7:30pm – $15

Doors open @ 7:00pm.

General Admission.

No Alcohol SERVED.

Coffee/Tea/Soft Drinks/Pastries only.

All ages.

Tickets available at Dana Street Roasting Company in downtown Mountain View or available online at ticketleap.com

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Shit I saw the Experience Hendrix tour last night Great Stuff, Billy Cox of the Band Of Gypsies played along with Johnnie Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Eric Johnson, Zappa, Robbie Kreiger, Eric Gale, Robert Randolph and Bootys Collins rocked out on a few songs as well.

Bought tickets for Roger Waters (holy fuck $200 for a ticket remember when shows were $10)

• 4 weeks later...

I caught the Paganfest tour in St. Paul two nights ago. It focuses on folk metal, generally from northern and eastern Europe. This is the third Paganfest America tour to come through.

Turisas headlined, and were incredible.

Alestorm before them - not too shabby, but won't be buying any CDs.

Arkona before them - best performance of the night; simply magical. This band is totally unique, and the singer has the best stage presence I've ever seen.

Huntress opened the whole thing, and were terrible.

So, there you go. Check out this tour if you are even remotely interested in (IMO) the best current metal available today. Arkona and Turisas are pushing musical boundaries all over the place, while remaining accessible and putting on spellbinding performances.

Here's the rest of the tour itinerary:

4/9 – Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade

4/11 – Dallas, TX @ Trees

4/12 – Lubbock, TX @ Jake’s

4/13 – Denver, CO @ The Marquis

4/15 – Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven

4/16 – Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre

4/17 – San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge

4/18 – West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club

4/19 – Tempe, AZ @ 910 Live