The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Larry Coryell trio w/ Mark Egan and awesome drummer Thierry Arpino at the Paul Robeson center. It was pretty cool, we were like 2 feet away from everything.

At the end he played a Ravel piece in honor of the drummer, who was French, but broke a string in the middle of it. The drummer started playing a driving beat while he switched guitars, and they finished with the bassist coming back out for an epic conclusion. Awesome.

He also had his wife come out to sing some blues, which was just bizarre for a few reasons..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no pics but I recently retuned from Sigur Ros at Red Rocks, my local ampitheater.

Unlike their previous tours, they were utterly without accompaniment, which complimented Red Rocks' incredibly clean sound quite well. The energy was compelling, the crowd interaction was surprising, and the whole thing kicked ass. Highly recommended.

These don't quite count as concerts, but my wife and I were in Las Vegas last week and saw two shows. The first was Jersey Boys. This is the Broadway hit musical about The Four Seasons. It had an excellent story and the music and singing were super. The second was Cirque de Soleil Love. It was the usual fine CDS performance art and (at least for me) the music was sensational too. Of course, I'm a big Beatle fan. All in all these were both great shows but I thought Jersey Boys was a little better.

And which ones do you plan on attending in the future?

I have done my part with the girlfriend female jazz vocalists preference a few times recently (including Stacey Kent) now it's my turn:

I have tickets for Peter Hammill in two weeks and if I survive the usual despair induced from his show I also have tickets for Premiata Forneria Marconi next month. Pizza anyone?

Amicalement

Last concert was Drive By Truckers, at an upstart music festival. Felt like a private show for me and about 80 redneck hippies, all out in a field surrounded by trees. Excellent, and a far cry from the concert previous to that: My Morning Jacket at House of Blues in Orlando. Main problem with HOB being that it's located in Downtown Disney and the soul refreshing qualities of live music are negated by the soul crushing properties of Disney. Live music in a field at a poorly organized festival > A trip to Disney.

Another fine weekend for music in SF:

Friday:

*Robert Plant and Alison Krauss with T Bone Burnett at the free Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival at GG Park 3 blocks from my house. Good stuff from Raising Sand, a slow, swampy version of Black Dog, and Plant's solo hit In the Mood. Good sound and pleasantly free.

*Sigur Ros at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. The rain held off until their encore, which saved it from being a washout. They were excellent and sounded so close to their recordings at times -- without being sterile or canned -- that I was amazed. Four guys can make a lot of sound. Interesting shots from mini-cameras were on mic stands, under and on keyboards, and under drums made for very cool projections behind the band. Lots of bowing on the Gibson Les Paul and gobbledigook singing, and I loved every minute. Confetti cannons and lots of fog rounded out the image. Opening band Parachutes, also from Iceland, were pretty good themselves, and came out for extra drumming duty on Gobbledigook, which was the last song before the encore. Nice.

Sunday:

Back to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival for a nice variety

*Bonnie Prince Billy

*Elvis Costello and a bunch of people: guitarist Bill Kirchen, fiddler Fats Kaplin, keyboardist Audie de Lone, and singer/guitarist Jim Lauderdale. They did lots of Elvis hits and when Lauderdale came out they played the Dead's Fire on the Mountain.

*Iron & Wine, Sam Beam solo

Some people stayed and watched Greg Brown, my wife went and say Earl Scruggs instead of Elvis, and she also stayed to watch Peg Young and hoped for Neil to show up but he did not (at least until she bailed). Oh, and she and my niece went to see the opening act on Friday morning, which was MC Hammer with 30 dancers. They loved it, as did the hundreds of school kids who were the primary audience.

Good stuff as always. Financier Warren Hellman pays for this event out of his own very fat wallet, and he has allegedly worked out an endowment to keep the festival going for at least 15 years after his death. Should be going for a good long while.

Hey, I'll be attending the PH show too. Row H, seat 41.

Row F, seat 1.....:-)

Amicalement

PS

I dont know if this will be your first show at the Palais Moncalm since it's recent renovation but anything in front of us is to low from the scene level. In short we are in the perfect zone. Sound wise it's nothing short of amazing...much better than Stax....

Phish just announced that they're playing march 6,7,8 in hampton, va, but I'm probably not going, because the hotels are already booked solid.

If you're staying in a hotel, you're not actually seeing Phish.

Phish requires you to sleep in a tent in a makeshift potemkin village littered with gooballs, NOS balloons and guys who only make burritos from 2AM-5AM.

I'm confident that is not fully booked yet

Phish just announced that they're playing march 6,7,8 in hampton, va, but I'm probably not going, because the hotels are already booked solid.

I'm going, but I have no idea where I'm going to sleep. I might end up having to get a room that is a good drive away.

Anyway I put in for the lottery, and will try my chances with ticketmaster, but I've also already paid for a broker ticket from ticketsnow.com for Friday, but who the hell knows if that will be any good. I just really really really want to be there for that first night.

Man I would love to go see Drive By Truckers in a place like that

The place you want to see DBT is at the 40 watt in Athens, GA. With Jason Isbell. :( amazing show, one of the loudest damn concerts I've ever been to.

If you're staying in a hotel, you're not actually seeing Phish.

Phish requires you to sleep in a tent in a makeshift potemkin village littered with gooballs, NOS balloons and guys who only make burritos from 2AM-5AM.

I'm confident that is not fully booked yet

yeah you go on and lecture Dan on Phish. :D

My last concert was Phil & Friends with the Allman Brothers Band at The Infamous Wharf in Orange Beach, AL. Phil opened and put on a solid show, but his sound man should be fired and replaced with whoever did ABB's. When Derek came out to jam with Phil his guitar sounded tinny, bright, and horrible. And the keys and bass were hard to hear as well. ABB sounded smooth and marvelous, with Oteil's bass shaking my chest, and the organs and guitars all had that midrange magic. Very refreshing to hear such awesome sound at a show. Watching Warren and Derek swap licks was just too cool. Derek's sheer technical ability is pretty awe inspiring, even if he doesn't have Haynes' soul and experience.

Next up, Opeth in New Orleans, a week from today. :prettyprincess:

What the hell? They're moving Langerado downtown? That's kinda cool actually... Interested to see what the lineup will look like now. Hopefully they don't take cues from Bonnaroo and bring in Metallica & Kanye West.

For the southern folks: Look out for any local show featuring Thomas Wynn & The Believers. Dude has an amazing voice and his band is pretty tight. They're even better live than those demo tracks on the myspace page show.

Palais.jpg

Nice place for an old timer prog. artist.

As I wrote earlier in that thread I was dead center in the first rows....;D

The show? It was the first time I saw Peter Hammill since his severe cardiac problems. Essentially his solo performance was a two parts with piano in the first and guitar in the second part.

And yes ( I saw PH so many times in the past ) the usual despair was at the rendez-vous....:P The voice is still as rich as in the past with so emotional nuances that it's realy quite impressive.

One last observation about these old artists willing to face new generations (and of course old ones) of fans. There is so little of these who are still offering a large part of their show based on recent songs composed with obvious skills and are easily challenging the first part of their carreer.

Just for that I'm willing to go back if he wants to give us the chance to see him on stage one more time.

Amicalement

PS

Not a place for the ladies since almost all his r