The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Hardly. Tell it.

Well....

As a former tennis director of an indoor tennis club in a city where tourism is a big part of the economic activity there's so many fun opportunities. There's one. All the producers of rock concerts in our city are connected to the usual network of solid sources for VIP entertainement. My club was one of these sources. The funny thing is that when celebrities are privately visiting incognito (or even when musicians are on tour) they want to do normal things but in a secret way.

At the club I managed we had a freaking nice setting with a private court in a separate building from the main complex. In and out without any chance to be seen by the regular club members. There I had the chance to practice with many high profile people who wanted to play tennis with the local pro hiden from the general public. No big deal it was part of the job. Now back to the main topic. One evening I received a message like this '' dont go to to bed too late you have a practice with a member of a rock group tomorrow ''. Yep it was Geddy Lee.

A very nice fellow and a good player I must say. Generally half the times the practice is evolving toward the '' show me what you can do maestro '' . This time was no exception and at the end of the hour he asked for it. Let me just say that he found out that tennis can be a risky business....

Amicalement

Did he pay you Big Money? (pun intended :D)

Great story!

The usual fee....:palm:

Amicalement

PS.

Back then I was a bit jalous of the Montreal tennis pros. One example: our Davis Cup captain (and a tennis pro for the major part of the year) had the chance to get every year a one week stay in a corporate condo in Tokyo. A gift from his tennis Japanese students (the big guys in the electronic field who were playing at his club).

B.B. King at the Canyon Club, Agoura Hills, CA.

Rachel Cantu opened for B.B. She played guitar and had one other guitarist as accompaniment. She played mostly a slow, country style. I think that she has a nice voice and talent, but I just couldn't get into her music. That's surprising as I tend to really like this style of music. :confused:

Later, the B.B. King Band opened without B. and played two pieces. They are a group of older blues and jazz musicians and definitely have their act together. Then B. walked out. He barely made the seat that was set up for him. He proceeded to joke, talk and perform for almost two hours. B.B. King still has his charisma, voice and guitar talent. It was an extremely enjoyable concert.

If you have a change to see B. live, I highly recommend it. He and his band put on a great show. But don't wait, he's 83 and the diabetes is definitely affecting his ability to walk. One never knows how many concerts he has left in him. So make the effort to see him while you still can.

Gojira w/The Chariot, Car Bomb, GI9, Separation, and Wisteria (in more or less reverse order, me thinks) -- missed the first three (the last three listed); Car Bomb -- not my thing, although the drummer was fantastic (he played a little without accompaniment during sound check and sounded like friggin' Gavin Harrison); The Chariot -- really not my thing -- HATED it; Gojira were friggin' awesome. Tight (which one has to be with some of those stop-starts and changes), sounded great (some of the older songs sounded better live than they did on record), and you could tell everyone was having a blast. During this one grand section of one of the songs, the bassist just had this huge blissful ear-to-ear grin on his face -- it was contagious. The drummer and the guitarists were on, and Joe Duplantier sounded great on every single fucking song. First night of their first headlining tour in North America, and they got everything right -- I forgot what a pleasure it is to see a show without technical difficulties.

Oh, and hotties friggin' everywhere. It must be something about the French.

Saw Shpongle yesterday in NYC. Kinda disappointed since it wasn't a full live set, but Simon still put on a good show. There were tracks from the next Shpongle album which sounded very promising, and some Younger Brother stuff which I really didn't like.

This was more of your standard psytrance party than a serious show, but it was a good one regardless.

J. Viewz opened and actually were great, with a full band setup and fully live. Never heard of them before but will definitely check them out.