The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Back in June, 2001--at the height of the '.com bubble'--I attended the four day JavaOne developer conference in San Fransisco. I attended two free (to me) private shows: The B-52's (sponsored by Sun) and Spinal-Tap (sponsored by IONA). IONA actually got the three principle actors from the movie This is Spinal-Tap to perform live for invited guests at the (then) newly renovated Masonic Hall. And--get this--'Tap was only one of the attractions: the party had a different flavor on each floor. The three floors included Rock and Roll Fantasy Land, Unreal/Surreal Land, and The Den of Indulgence. Food, drink, music (pole dancers), all provided gratis by IONA.

It took me about 20 minutes or so to convince myself that the musicions playing live on stage were, in fact, Spinal-Tap.

I've loved that movie forever; it was one of the first 2 or three DVD's I purchased.

I just saw Christoper Guest, Harry Shearer, and Michael McKean perform at Atlanta's Fox Theatre. They spent about two hours covering Spinal-Tap and the Folksmen (from A Mighty Wind). McKean's wife, Annette O'Tool joined them for a couple songs.

All (mostly all) unplugged. Acoustic versions of Sex Farm and Hell-Hole--you get the picture. I had a wonderful, joyous two hours.

Two Thursdays ago: Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Only sold a few hundred tickets to a thousand plus person theater, but they might as well have been playing a sold out MSG crowd. Tons of heart, tons of fun. Like being in black people church but drinks are being served.

A week ago Saturday: Death Cab for Cutie. I am a passing Death Cab fan; I think "Plans" is a masterfully written and well mastered album. Some of their other stuff is pretty good as well. A friend of mine whose opinion I respect greatly said that even though he knows Death Cab is not a corporate manufactured indie band, they still came across that way to him live. He thought maybe he had something to do with the lead singer's pivoting. :) I wouldn't go so far as to 100% agree with that, but I will say there was nothing super special about the show. It was nice hearing the songs I enjoyed, but I guess I've come to expect more out of a live show. Or maybe the music just isn't my bag?

This past Friday: Jimmy Herring Band. Oh yeah. With Oteil Burbridge (Bass), Jeff Sipe (drums), Greg Osby (sax), and Scott Kinsey (keys). A really great night of nuJazz. Everyone was happy to be there but it was obvious some of the hippies really really wanted to dance, and this music simple isn't danceable. We got there early and I ended up right on the railings only a few feet from the musicians. I'd never been this close to Herring and it was a thrill. Same with Oteil (greatest rock bassist alive today, IMO), and Jeff Sipe is a trip to watch! Best show I've seen since Hampton, and I forgot to buy a t-shirt. :(

• 2 weeks later...

The Decemberists at the Fox Theater in Oakland.

The opener was Other Lives and they were basically a one-not kind of band. Droned on a bit, but had at least one song that was catchy enough to prick up your ears. Not terrible, but there had been a little hype that made us think they were going to be better than they were.

The Decemberists came out strong and played the entire new album, Hazards of Love, as a suite or mini-opera. They love theatrics and this set played them up well. Colin Meloy sounds exactly like Colin Meloy at all times. The Diamonds, their two female singers who are Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond) and Becky Stark (Lavendar Diamond) were awesome throughout this set, launching out from their own little riser to the right of the drum riser. Becky was the good girl in wispy Victorian dress, Stevie Nicks waltz moves, and ethereal melodic vocals. Shara was the bad girl in punky new wave clothes of black and silver who stormed out and stomped around while pumping out grittier vocals. It worked great and obviously fit the themes in suite. Great, rockin' stuff that flowed almost seamlessly for an hour.

After a 20-minute break in which they mended Colin's bleeding left hand, they came out for a looser, more ad-hoc second set. They hit some of the high points and played their typical obscure stuff that all their super-fans know and expect. They did not play Crane Wife, The Infanta or Valerie Plame, although they played songs from each the albums containing those songs. This was a fun set that reminded me of their show a couple years ago but didn't have the force of the first set for me.

Check 'em out!

TV on the Radio at the House of Blues, New Orleans.

Headed over Friday night after work with the GF. Some road work caused a traffic jam, but we still arrived in plenty of time to sit on the stairs in the bar and wait for the opener, a weird band called Little Dragon. After the first couple of songs I decided they were kind of like Bjork, but boring, but little did I realize their show had a definite arc. While it started in a more traditional pop (kind of, it was weird) fashion, it devolved into a whole lot of noise and chaos over several songs. It was a fun little journey the band took me on, but not interesting enough for me to buy the CD.

Then, the main act! Hugely enthusiastic crowd, sold out show. The House of Blues in New Orleans is basically a bar. Its tiny and it sucks, but they book the bands. "Dirtywhirl" opener, which was sick. I don't know the names of all the songs, but they did "Crying" and "Halfway Home", and early in the show busted out with "Wolf Like Me", and the crowd reaction was like hearing Metallica bust into "Last Caress". Crazy energy! I'm saying nice things about the crowd's energy, but unfortunately I think a lot of these arty kids and preps were too cool to dance. Instead they just watched and cheered. This didn't go unnoticed by someone in the band (don't know any of their names), who chided the crowd after a few songs, "hey, if you maybe get the urge to, you know, move back and forth a bit, AKA 'dance', feel free". They also did "Family Tree", which I was really hoping for.

All the playing was surprisingly tight, I was happy to see them care as much about their live output as the obviously do in their studio work. The songs are all different versions then what you hear on the record, which is fun. If I just wanted to hear the record I can stay at home. I love it when a band entertains me. :) This was the kind of live performance that really sold me on a band. I just felt great the whole time dancing my ass off and digging on everything the band was bringing.

Big encore with the big songs, "A Method" and "Staring at the Sun". Short show, under 90 minutes with encore, but I was glad for it, it'd been a full day at work and a two hour drive to New Orleans with another two hour drive home. We got home about 2:30 and crashed at 3:00.

TV on the Radio at the House of Blues, New Orleans.

I will be seeing them with the Roots and the Black Keys in a couple weeks... very excited.

Last show I saw was Animal Collective... its a show you don't bring your girl friend to as I unfortunatly found out..

Went to Sungod at UCSD last week. Sara Bareilles was pretty entertaining. I liked the side talk she engaged in in between songs. Her piano playing, however, wasn't so hot. I guess you can't expect too much since she's singing at the same time since she's no Elton John. Don't remember many of the other bands, but had a great time. Tried to see Girl Talk (friend really likes them) up close, but almost died in the mosh pit before the dude even came on, so we retreated to a safer location.

Why is that? I need to go see animal collective :(

Incredible show but as usual the crowd at the Electric Factory got a bit rowdy. My girlfriend is pretty short (and I am pretty tall). Went with a bunch of friends and in about 5 minutes got pushed from half way back in the crowd all the way to the third row. Very cool being that close but all the "moshing" started scaring her and I had to play protective boyfriend and help her out of the crowd enjoying the last 40 minutes of the concert from way behind the whole crowd.

Incredible show but as usual the crowd at the Electric Factory got a bit rowdy. My girlfriend is pretty short (and I am pretty tall). Went with a bunch of friends and in about 5 minutes got pushed from half way back in the crowd all the way to the third row. Very cool being that close but all the "moshing" started scaring her and I had to play protective boyfriend and help her out of the crowd enjoying the last 40 minutes of the concert from way behind the whole crowd.

bah that sucks :(

Last night saw the SFJAZZ Battle of the Bands rematch: The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra v. The Glenn Miller Orchestra. Great crowd, one of the two band leaders was in the original line-up, and I'm stating the obvious, but interesting when growing up with popular music so strings bias, to see an earlier time when nearly everything was done with horns.

The Decemberists at the Fox Theater in Oakland.

The opener was Other Lives and they were basically a one-not kind of band. Droned on a bit, but had at least one song that was catchy enough to prick up your ears. Not terrible, but there had been a little hype that made us think they were going to be better than they were.

The Decemberists came out strong and played the entire new album, Hazards of Love, as a suite or mini-opera. They love theatrics and this set played them up well. Colin Meloy sounds exactly like Colin Meloy at all times. The Diamonds, their two female singers who are Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond) and Becky Stark (Lavendar Diamond) were awesome throughout this set, launching out from their own little riser to the right of the drum riser. Becky was the good girl in wispy Victorian dress, Stevie Nicks waltz moves, and ethereal melodic vocals. Shara was the bad girl in punky new wave clothes of black and silver who stormed out and stomped around while pumping out grittier vocals. It worked great and obviously fit the themes in suite. Great, rockin' stuff that flowed almost seamlessly for an hour.

After a 20-minute break in which they mended Colin's bleeding left hand, they came out for a looser, more ad-hoc second set. They hit some of the high points and played their typical obscure stuff that all their super-fans know and expect. They did not play Crane Wife, The Infanta or Valerie Plame, although they played songs from each the albums containing those songs. This was a fun set that reminded me of their show a couple years ago but didn't have the force of the first set for me.

Check 'em out!

Wow, sounds like an incredible show. I've been playing the hell out of Crane Wife and Hazards of Love lately and would love to see these guys live. They will be in Raleigh, NC on June 4th but I can't go :palm: I asked the wife if I could attend and she gave me some crap about it being too close to her due date. What's that about ;)

Last night saw the SFJAZZ Battle of the Bands rematch: The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra v. The Glenn Miller Orchestra. Great crowd, one of the two band leaders was in the original line-up, and I'm stating the obvious, but interesting when growing up with popular music so strings bias, to see an earlier time when nearly everything was done with horns.

I mentioned this event to JP and he reminded me his grandfather played in both of those bands as a drummer back in the day! Check out Moe Purtill!

Stacy and I went to hear Fleetwood Mac at the Staples Center last night. Stacy is a huge fan and bought us floor tickets just 16 rows back. The concert was excellent and it was obvious that they were having a great time. Since they don't currently have a new album to promote, they did nothing but oldies. There will be a new album in the near future. Stevie's voice is just starting to degrade a bit, but she still sounds good. Lindsay Buckingham sang and played like he was 25.

All in all an enjoyable concert. One of the best things though is that instead of having to drive 2 hours to get back home, we only had to drive 20 minutes to get back to the CanJam hotel. ;D

This:

Ars Nova Copenhagen conducted by Paul Hillier performing Three Stages by Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen and Rise Up, my love by Howard Skempton

Athelas Sinfonietta Copenhagen performing Braun KSM 2 by Jeppe Just Christensen

Ars Nova Copenhagen performing For love is strong by David Lang

Smith Quartet performing Folk Music (Daithi's Dumka) by Joe Cutler

Athelas Sinfonietta Copenhagen performing excerpts from On This Planet by Anders Nordentoft