The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

ANNUAL END OF THE YEAR IMPROV NIGHT—A Stone Benefit

John Zorn (sax) Craig Taborn (keyboard) Sylvie Courvoisier (piano) Jim Staley (trombone) Cyro Baptista (percussion) Billy Martin (percussion) Gerry Hemingway (drums) Ikue Mori (electronics) Shanir Blumenkranz (violin) Mark Feldman (violin) Eyal Maoz (guitar) and many VERY special surprise guests

As you can imagine, it was totally fucking insane.

• 4 weeks later...

Mos Def & The Experiment (Robert Glasper, Casey Benjamin, a bassist I forgot the name of who was subbing, and the fucking amazing drummer Chris Dave) at The Blue Note NYC

DAMN! This was one of the best shows I've ever been to. Mos Def's band is flat-out incredible; they're tighter than almost any band I've ever seen and have a great sense of dynamics. There was a Radiohead song (forgot the name), some furious jamming, that poem from the inauguration which was 100 times better coming from Mos Def with music, and an epic version of De La Soul's Stakes Is High. They've completely suceeded in bringing together Jazz and Hip-Hop. If you get a chance to see them, do it.

It was even worth standing for 5 hours straight...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Phish

3/6/09

Hampton, VA

I haven't seen them but several times, but it was the best phish I've ever seen. incredible set list, super tight playing, positive crowd, unreal energy. I'm happy I was there.

Tonight: Morrissey, Atlanta, Variety Playhouse.

Can't wait to have a huge messy cheeeeebugga from Vortex!