The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

• 2 weeks later...

Disturbed/Lacuna Coil/Killswitch Engaged/Chimera two weeks ago. Sprained my left ankle while catching a breather from the mosh pit. Caught a crappy cold while waiting in the emergency room on base to get and X-ray. Just now getting over the cold. Ankle is still fucked.

Avenged Sevenfold/Buckcherry next week.

Disturbed/Lacuna Coil/Killswitch Engaged/Chimera two weeks ago. Sprained my left ankle while catching a breather from the mosh pit. Caught a crappy cold while waiting in the emergency room on base to get and X-ray. Just now getting over the cold. Ankle is still fucked.

I thought you'd be scary in combat but you must be a terror in the pit.

:dance:

I had a great time at the DTB show during Mardi Gras.

It was an excellent show last night. That kid sure knows his way around a guitar. A nice translation of "My Favorite Things" plus an awesome cover of Derek & The Dominos' "Anyday" made for a great night. Can't remember when I've heard more emotion pour from a guitar. If you get the chance to see them, dew eet!!!

It was an excellent show last night. That kid sure knows his way around a guitar. A nice translation of "My Favorite Things" plus an awesome cover of Derek & The Dominos' "Anyday" made for a great night. Can't remember when I've heard more emotion pour from a guitar. If you get the chance to see them, dew eet!!!

anyday was the highlight of the new orleans show for me. derek was actually named after derek and the dominoes. :)

Derek did My Favorite Things on the Guitars album with McCoy Tyner. There is a great DVD of the recording session that comes with it. Derek looks petrified in the presence of McCoy. :P

nice, I need to check that out.

I should be seeing Derek again this summer at Wanee in Live Oak, FL. he's playing the midnight set on Friday. :dance:

Awesome -- I love your jump-right-back-into-the-fray attitude. Whom did you go to see the most (me: would've been Lacuna Coil -- they are AWESOME live).

I thought you'd be scary in combat but you must be a terror in the pit.

I can hold my own;)

Awesome -- I love your jump-right-back-into-the-fray attitude. Whom did you go to see the most (me: would've been Lacuna Coil -- they are AWESOME live).

It was a toss up for the first three. I wish Lacuna Coil would have performed longer. Disturbed was actually really good but they took up most of the time.

Mastodon + Kylesa + Intronaut at the HOB NOLA.

Great show. Mastodon played the entire new album in order for "set I", then the keyboardist left the stage and they went on to play the best and heaviest of their previous records, including Crystal Skull, Iron Tusk, The Wolf Is Loose, Seabeast (!!! the song I wanted to hear) and a massive Hearts Alive encore. They were obviously concentrating very hard on playing the new material well, and they did a superb job, with great visuals full of spacey wormholes and plenty of Rasputin. With the old stuff they really started smiling and cutting loose, and the crowd responded to both old and new with equal fervor. My GF, my friend and I got a primo place right behind the SBD, its my new favorite spot in the HOB.

The openers were both awesome, which is always a treat. Kylesa is a chick fronted band, a real heavy dirty thrashy deathy thing with a touch of psycedelia. But the real treat was Intronaut, which was death metal type vocals over heavy and cererbral music that was absolutely impossible to dance to, very jazzy. I ended up buying their LP at the show and will listen to it later tonight.

Neko Case & Crooked Fingers @ the Berklee Peformance Center in Boston...

I had never heard Crooked Fingers before, and they were a pleasant surprise. 3-piece, with a guy playing guitar and singing, a woman playing bass and also singing and a guy who played drums, keyboards and programming. I'll be tracking down some of their stuff to be sure. And they were definitely a nice complement to the headliner. Speaking of which...

Neko Case was amazing! It was an excellent set list and the band was amazing. It was a nice mix of new and old, with some deep cuts thrown in for good measure. And as is often the case, some of the songs from Middle Cyclone that I wasn't in love with really grew on my when played live. Highlights for me were the "co-written by The Sadies" block of "Hold On, Hold On" and "The Pharaohs", the crazy lap steel solo from "Deep Red Bells", the rocking "Red Tide", beautiful "Middle Cyclone" and "The Tigers Have Spoken". And countless others that were right up there. There just aren't the words to describe her voice live. It's so powerful, but it comes across as effortless at the same time.

And best of all, she said they're probably swinging back through Boston in July!

BTW, forgot to mentioned the Mastodon show was my first live music experience using earplugs. The etys performed wonderfully, and I felt great after the show while my GF and buddy had ringing ears. :) And the plugs didn't prevent me from rocking out at all, in fact after a few minutes with the plugs in the music felt incredibly loud; of course having the bass running through my body helped with that.