Fucking moron with computer source question......

randerson3024

^^^Probably a better and simpler way to go to keep everything within OSX. Which ever way you go I still suggest using an external drive as ripping can be hard on the drive mechanism. When I decided to rip my collection I ended up trashing an internal drive on my laptop. Not fun to replace so I then went to an external drive, if it fails, it is easier to replace.

Edited by morphsci

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also check out XLD for ripping cds on a mac it takes longer but does a thorough job of error checking. It would be a PITA for someone digitizing their cd collection for the first time but it does ensure an accurate rip.

I know this is heresy but I run AIFF and when I A/B'ed between that and ALAC I swear it made a difference. I know that a modern computer should be able to uncompress an ALAC file on the fly and feed it to a firewire port without using really any processor power. In my very unscientific listening it made a difference and with hard drive space being cheap it seemed like a no brainer.

My suggestion for using dbpoweramp is definitely for someone at the beginning doing their ripping. Accurate-Rip definitely speeds up bit-perfect ripping and dbpoweramp uses multiple cores so that also speeds things up.

When you noticed a difference between AIFF and ALAC was that using only itunes or itunes with Amarra?

Ok, I may have to go the route of a mac mini since the original deal for a "family" MBP only applies to the hours between 1-6 AM. :(

The new mac mini will be a dedicated itunes player and will reside in the music listening room, and occasional HC forum participant, nothing else. Apple offers the mac mini with the following options-

1) Cheaper option, 2.26GHz 2GB memory, and 160 GB HD or

2) Moar money, 2.53GHz 4GB memory and 320 GB HD.

I would think option two is the minimum because I will need lots of memory (minimal latency issues)and storage both for now and the future when I pick up the Amarra.

Should I also upgrade the storage to 500GB or more? And memory over 4GB?

At what point is "moar" overkill?

Yeah, unless you're transferring files a lot it shouldn't affect FW. I've found that I can usually get 30-50 MB/s transfer rates on FW400, and an audio stream would take less than 1MB/s (150kB/s IIRC). So, you might get chopping if you are copying files while listening to music, in theory (I have no FW audio devices to test with).