Trip to New York City - places to go and eat, things to do, etc...

recstar24

The wife and I have a trip scheduled to NYC Feb. 12-15 as I don't have school that Monday. I know we are definitely going to see some Broadway show but other than that we are pretty open. Not sure yet where we are staying. Figured I would throw it out there as there is a pretty good NY contingent here.

Are you looking to save money or eat good meals.

Some interesting Music based evenings:

I would say one night eating at Cuba Cuba Restaurant,Cuban restaurants in new york city,Cuban restaurants in nyc,Cuban restaurants,new york city restaurants,cuban food,cuban restaurants in midtown

Then heading to the Village Vanguard a few blocks away for music is a nice way to spend the evening.

Or maybe hit Rosa Mexicano up by CPW Rosa Mexicano Restaurants | Upscale, modern and authentic Mexican cuisine

followed by one of the many free shows at Julliard would also be nice.

As far as daytime activities I really like the Frick The Frick Collection: Home Page

or just up the Street the Met. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York: metmuseum.org

If you are a BBQ fan you should definitely hit up Virgils in Times Square close to the Broadway shows. I am from Texas and I think this is great BBQ. Virgil's | Real Barbeque | Homepage

I am sure we can come up with a lot more if you request some specific cuisines, locales, interests.

Are you looking to save money or eat good meals.

We probably have the budget for one really really sick meal. I personally love a good, high quality steak house. Mexican is always good, pizza never hurts (though we love chicago style of course), and a good BBQ joint always is open to us, thanks for the rec.

Central park, duh, thanks Steve.

Keep em coming!

I'll have some moar suggestions later, but for now, if you want steak, then you want Peter Luger's. Also, have you been to NYC before? One thing I recommend to all first-timers is to take a round trip on the Staten Island ferry. It's free, and you get to see the harbor, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and all that crap. In my opinion, it is simply beautiful and should not be missed.

Typically if there are women in the party I recommend Del Friscos over Peter Lugers. That is kind of a men's club and the staff seem to want to keep it that way.

The Old Homestead is alright as well.

There is also the Friday night Jazz at the Planetarium if you are a jazz kind of guy. Kind of like the old Pink Floyd laser shows but with stars and jazz.

If you want something interesting go to Ninja. NINJA NEW YORK Restaurant, Finest Japanese Cuisine

Better than I thought it was going to be.

For good eats on the cheap

53rd and 6th Halal Cart the chicken and rice is great.

I always have to go to Gray's Papaya and get the recession special two hot dogs and papaya juice.

Pommes Frites is always good for some french fries and what ever sauce you fancy.

If you want some japanese ramen noodles, I tried Ramen Setagaya and it was good and reasonably priced. Here is a list of the top ramen places in NYC from Rameniac.

If you're near central park, I like Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery, everything I tried there was good.

Enjoy, I love NYC.

Ninja is horrible, such a waste of money.

I second Cuba's. Been there a few times and their rib eye is gooooooood.

Peter Lugers, have to go to the one in Brooklyn.

I also second Sapporo for ramen, get it with wontons, it's gooooood.

If you happen to be in the area of 23rd street and 6th ave, go to this pizzaria named Muffai's. Get a grandma slice. It's ridiculously good.

Del Frisco's appears to be close to our hotel (Hilton Garden Inn Times Square). Hmmm.

Let me know how the hotel is, we are still looking for hotels and could use a good recommendation.

Anyone out there in the peanut gallery that has a good hotel recommendation feel free to shoot it out. Times Square would be ideal but again our budget dictates under $200/night the lower the better if possible.