Preamp with at least 1 balanced in, 1 balanced out, and one balanced loop/tape out?

tyrion

That's close. I need one in and two out. I'm thinking that the easiest thing for me to do now is get 2 xlr Y splitters, each single female xlr on one end and two female xlr on the other end. One would send two balanced ic's into the KGSS and the other two balanced ic's into the mccormack power amp. I would then set the volume on the BH at 3:00 or so and then use the PWD to control volume into everything. I would use the rca out of the PWD into the B22. Does this make sense?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are some clever DIY'rs out there that can figure out how to make something similar. It looks like there are 3 of us looking a Darwin.

This project has Ari written all over it. (nice of me to volunteer him huh?) I'd be more than willing to take high res internal pics if necessary.

That's close. I need one in and two out. I'm thinking that the easiest thing for me to do now is get 2 xlr Y splitters, each single female xlr on one end and two female xlr on the other end. One would send two balanced ic's into the KGSS and the other two balanced ic's into the mccormack power amp. I would then set the volume on the BH at 3:00 or so and then use the PWD to control volume into everything. I would use the rca out of the PWD into the B22. Does this make sense?

I'm somewhat friendly with Brian, the owner of TPA, I'll drop him an email and see if he'd be willing to do anything for us as a small group. Maybe I can get the fab files for the boards and get a small run done, I'd like one as well.

I've just come to the realization that if I use that PWD as the preamp, then under all scenarios any out from a switch, like the Goldpoint or Darwin, will always be controlled by the volume control of the PWD and the KGSS in my case. The only way to avoid this is to buy a preamp with a pass thru like the GSX, as an example. This was probably obvious to others but not to me. I can live with that solution which makes the GP attractive as it's available and has a source selector. Is there an advantage to the Darwin and am I correct in the above assumption?

Well, for me the disadvantage of the GP (I assume you mean the GoldPoint) is that you are stuck with what you get. The Darwin is so modular, which is why I always wanted one. I had seen the GoldPoint before and was almost sold on it, except for the fact that it is not a matrix source selector. I want something with multiple inputs and multiple outputs. The Goldpoint is limited (by design) to having either the number of inputs or outputs limited to ONE only (depending on configuration chosen). It wouldn't suffice my needs. With multiple sources (turntable, DACses, etc) and multiple amps, I think you'd be better off with a matrix source selector as well. The Darwin is closer in function to the Manley Skipjack than the Goldpoint (reason why I didn't go Skipjack is because I want xlr jacks too).

Hmm, question for others: can the Darwin be configured for balanced and SE in one chassis?

Mike ... I cannot believe this has dragged on this long without ...

1. you buying at least three candidates and discarding two by now.

2. no one suggesting one of the early preamp-processors from the likes of Anthem, Proceed, Theta, Cary, etc. Those things have beaucoup of balanced in-outs, and most are based on excellent stereo preamps. I can vouch for the Proceed PAV or AVP, having owned them. They are from Madrigal and have Levinson guts. Easily available sub $1000 and readily resold should you not like. Most have the connections you need (may need to do a home theatre pass through to get your balanced loop out), and are rock solid performers.

• 2 weeks later...

I got bad news today from McCormack in VA. The repair for my amp is $700 and it eliminates the balanced inputs. The amp is making the trip back to Florida and then will be sent to Steve McCormack in California. Had I listened to Jp, I would have sent it to Steve from the beginning. Once repaired the amp will retain the balanced inputs so it will be used with a balanced switch box.

I did consider the idea of adding a passive volume control to the Darwin at one point, and still think that would be the ultimate balanced passive pre-amp, but I no longer really have that need since the Buffalo II will have attenuation.

Sorry about the faulty repair Mike.