Jump to content
thrice

The Headcase Stax thread

Recommended Posts

It's not really a hifi product, it's "the shaper image" version of a hifi product. For those in the USA who remember that place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kattefjaes said:

I feel like some decent Lambdas and a sensible amp would kill them, even- without the massive downside of having to use their DAC. $5k is a lot to ask for something that compromised.

They certainly would!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i feel like my newish 007s are developing a channel imbalance. I noticed this by the sound stage shifting slightly from the center to the left. I am assuming this is due to the right channel output being slightly lower.

Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeaWolf said:

So i feel like my newish 007s are developing a channel imbalance. I noticed this by the sound stage shifting slightly from the center to the left. I am assuming this is due to the right channel output being slightly lower.

Any advice?

Replace the tiny wire conneting the driver and the cable with bigger ones and with a more secure solder point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Straight forward enough I suppose, heat plus that driver makes me a bit nervous. What AWG should be used for the connection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

So i feel like my newish 007s are developing a channel imbalance. I noticed this by the sound stage shifting slightly from the center to the left. I am assuming this is due to the right channel output being slightly lower.

Any advice?

Have you tried isolating the problem by wearing your headphones backward to see if the channel imbalance flips ears (stays with the R channel earpod)? 

When mine seem imbalanced, turns out a good ear cleaning does wonders. 

 

 

Edited by Laowei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Straight forward enough I suppose, heat plus that driver makes me a bit nervous. What AWG should be used for the connection?

Its hard to find wires that are thicker than the stock ones. And you may want to keep the stock wires after replacement because you need to put them back before you send the 007 back to Japan for service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't touch the wires to be honest.  It is most likely the new film acting up so the same cure as with the 009's... hit them with a bit of force and see if the imbalance goes away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, spritzer said:

I wouldn't touch the wires to be honest.  It is most likely the new film acting up so the same cure as with the 009's... hit them with a bit of force and see if the imbalance goes away. 

By hitting the headphone imbalance may go away by a chance of 50% . But the imbalance will 100% come back in the next ten days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@spritzer Technique matches pretty well with my technical level of expertise! I am quite good at hitting things. I am out of high voltage wire anyway, so hitting them will be first up. If that doesn't work they are under warranty; I can send them in for repair. Inconvenient but probably the safest route. If they come back and still have the issue then I will reflow the cable side solder joints first and finally if that doesn't work I will replace the wires from the cable to driver. 

 

Thanks for every ones input. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bwck2000 said:

By hitting the headphone imbalance may go away by a chance of 50% . But the imbalance will 100% come back in the next ten days. 

I've fixed two sets of 009' this way and no issues again.  On top of this the dozens and dozens of other units where the owners have reached out to me for help.  It has also worked on 007's for other people so worth a shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My new at the time 007a’s developed an imbalance as well a few years back.  I tried popping them without joy.

Back they went replaced with new units.  No drama since then.

HS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×