The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I have six Living Stereo SACD, they all sound quite good.

Scheherazade, Reiner, Chicago Symphony

Mahler Symphony No. 4, Reiner, Chicago Symphony

Saint-Saens Symphony No.3, Charles Munch & Boston Symphony

Dvorak & Walton Cello Concertos, Piatigorsky, Charles Munch & Boston Symphony

Tchaikovsky Pathetique, Monteux, Boston Symphony

Rhapsodies, Stokowski

And the Bartok (Concerto for Orchestra), but yeah, just buy them all (I skipped the opera ones, myself, since I'm not into opera).

I have six Living Stereo SACD, they all sound quite good.

Scheherazade, Reiner, Chicago Symphony

Mahler Symphony No. 4, Reiner, Chicago Symphony

Saint-Saens Symphony No.3, Charles Munch & Boston Symphony

Dvorak & Walton Cello Concertos, Piatigorsky, Charles Munch & Boston Symphony

Tchaikovsky Pathetique, Monteux, Boston Symphony

Rhapsodies, Stokowski

Thanks for those suggestions guys:) It is just amazing to me how much classical music I've heard in my life but in one day I feel that I haven't experienced it yet because what I'm hearing now is so much richer.

A little OT but I scored 2 sealed MJ Thriller SACDs yesterday of flebay.uk for about $10 a piece shipped on a buy it now auction:o I was so bummed at how the prices on anything NJ went up like crazy after he passed on that I didn't expect such a score any time soon,things always work out:)

I have a quick question about the O2,when I lean my head side to side I can hear something slide inside the cup but there is no compromise to the SQ.Is that normal?

There shouldn't be any noise when you move your head, except maybe for the SR-007's squeal.

It could be something loose in the rotating housing mechanism. Also check the round metal wire inside the earpad.

I have the MJ Thriller SACD too. It's the one SACD I have that's not a hybrid, it's SACD only, so no ripping into the computer. It sounds great, better than the same tracks I downloaded. The sound effects in Track 4, "Thriller" are positively binaural-like and very realistic-seeming.

Thanks for those suggestions guys:) It is just amazing to me how much classical music I've heard in my life but in one day I feel that I haven't experienced it yet because what I'm hearing now is so much richer.

A little OT but I scored 2 sealed MJ Thriller SACDs yesterday of flebay.uk for about $10 a piece shipped on a buy it now auction:o I was so bummed at how the prices on anything NJ went up like crazy after he passed on that I didn't expect such a score any time soon,things always work out:)

I have a quick question about the O2,when I lean my head side to side I can hear something slide inside the cup but there is no compromise to the SQ.Is that normal?

If you're feeling generous I'll buy one of those Thriller SACDs :) (send me a pm)

They gained notoriety because he builds Pass designs after Pass releases them and sells them for profit. Some folks don't feel right about taking something that's free and making a profit off of it.

I've never heard anything contrary about his build quality, however.

There shouldn't be any noise when you move your head, except maybe for the SR-007's squeal.

It could be something loose in the rotating housing mechanism. Also check the round metal wire inside the earpad.

I have the MJ Thriller SACD too. It's the one SACD I have that's not a hybrid, it's SACD only, so no ripping into the computer. It sounds great, better than the same tracks I downloaded. The sound effects in Track 4, "Thriller" are positively binaural-like and very realistic-seeming.

I get the feeling that that the issue may be as you mentioned in the rotating housing mechanism,is there a link that would show me how to safely and properly disasemble mine so that I may check on these issues myself?I would hate to risk any harm to this little treasure:)

If you're feeling generous I'll buy one of those Thriller SACDs :) (send me a pm)

I feel very apologetic but I have already made birthday plans for this,but I promise to keep my radar open for you deepak and keep you posted.

I loaded up my O2,717 and my $50 sony CE595 and head on over to a local audio store that happens to have a SCD-1 for sale to see if it was worth it to get an expensive SACD player,and the answer is yes:rolleyes:

So when I got back home and did some searching I found that some people have compared the SCD-1 to the new XA-5400ES and found that the 5400 betters the SCD-1,has anyone here had any experience with either of these players as sources for your stax and what would you recomend?There are both about the same price for me and I would be just interested in what would mate best with the O2/717.

I pulled the trigger on 3 new living stereo recordings btw,(Bolero,La valse,Rapsodie espagnole),Anna Moffo Arias,(Also sprach Zarathustra,Ein Heldenleben):D

When you're trying to put the O2 pads back on, the easiest way is not to put the lining between the black plate initially, but to stretch the lining over to gap so you have leverage to hold the pad in place as you rotate them around the cup. It will eventually slip into the crevice and now your done!

When you're trying to put the O2 pads back on, the easiest way is not to put the lining between the black plate initially, but to stretch the lining over to gap so you have leverage to hold the pad in place as you rotate them around the cup. It will eventually slip into the crevice and now your done!

Thanks for the detailed advice on that,it makes alot of sense and I'm feeling much braver now:)

I will give it a shot this weekend and report back on my findings.

Pfft, installing the O2mk1 earpads are a piece of cake. Spritzer scared me with all those ominous warnings but I did it and it was super easy, probably because I'm super cool.

He and the other DIY experts warn a lot about opening up large tube amps and sticking metal screwdrivers and and my face inside when I have zero knowledge of electronics whatsoever. I don't believe them anymore, if I can install an O2mk1 earpad so easily when it's said to be so difficult, I can probably build a Blue Hawaii.

Pfft, installing the O2mk1 earpads are a piece of cake. Spritzer scared me with all those ominous warnings but I did it and it was super easy, probably because I'm super cool.

He and the other DIY experts warn a lot about opening up large tube amps and sticking metal screwdrivers and and my face inside when I have zero knowledge of electronics whatsoever. I don't believe them anymore, if I can install an O2mk1 earpad so easily when it's said to be so difficult, I can probably build a Blue Hawaii.

That statement reminds me of Clarkson on the most recent episode of Top Gear. ;D

Well after a long time emailing back and forth, I succeed in persuading the guys at Ishino Labs to build me the Master BA-215T @ US voltage. However, the price would bump up to ~2,500$ shipped and there would be no warranty/return (!!).

That makes me have second thought. I haven't read any review about this amp. Is it worth the price tag? Finding a used KGSS makes me more and more impatient.