The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Is it meant to pair with the 404 LTD?

Certainly seems to be that way given they use it as a reference in the frequency response and THD specs. Carl wondered if STAX are simply running out of their Ei 6CG7s and redesigned the 006t to use tubes that are still in production.

How does it sound with teh JH13?!

:rofl:

Guest gilency

Wow... the JH13's is so wonderful that according to their owners at the other site, is as good if not better than the Omegas! And some people think they can use electrostatic amps with them ?????? :eek:

Both of the first two. Was using the Pico as a source, and I only switched it to XLR for the picture.

Great sound, there is no doubt that this is the OII amp (well T2 talk aside, anyway). If I hadn't heard the original Omegas, I'd say it is my best stat experience period (never have been a huge HE90/HE60 fan). Even with the best bass impact I've heard from a stat, the OII/BHSE combo still doesn't quite sell me for non-acoustic music. The airiness is a bit too much for me with amplified stuff, though I could see the appeal with some electronica. It does sound extremely lifelike with the best, well-recorded acoustic stuff though.

So for those who would kid, it does some things better than the JH13, and some worse.

Both of the first two. Was using the Pico as a source, and I only switched it to XLR for the picture.

Great sound, there is no doubt that this is the OII amp (well T2 talk aside, anyway). If I hadn't heard the original Omegas, I'd say it is my best stat experience period (never have been a huge HE90/HE60 fan). Even with the best bass impact I've heard from a stat, the OII/BHSE combo still doesn't quite sell me for non-acoustic music. The airiness is a bit too much for me with amplified stuff, though I could see the appeal with some electronica. It does sound extremely lifelike with the best, well-recorded acoustic stuff though.

So for those who would kid, it does some things better than the JH13, and some worse.

I'm retracting something I said about the O2 vs JH13Pro on the other site.

I'm sitting here doing A/B comparison of my Apogee mini-DAC > Woo WA6 > JH13Pro vs Apogee mini-DAC > Woo GES > O2 Mk1, and the JH13Pro is winning because the O2 Mk1 are too dark sounding (Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley). They both have nice liquid mids and tight bass, but the JH13Pro treble is so much more extended in this rig. Granted, the O2 Mk1 sound better with the PS Audio DLIII DAC which is in the other room; but the JH13Pro sound even better with the Square Wave XL, so I suppose it's a wash.

I really must get an amp that is better suited for my O2 Mk1 or I might have to sell the O2 a third time (second time for a Mk1). :chair:

Guest gilency

I am not kidding. I am actually quite impressed that Iron-Dreamer and Larry think the JH13 is better than the Stax. That says a lot for the JH13.

I am quite sure I will get me the SR-007's before I even think of getting the JH13's though. And Larry, if you decide to sell your MK1 by the end of the year, just let me know...... I might be interested.....

Edited by gilency
missing phrase

I am not kidding. I am actually quite impressed that Iron-Dreamer and Larry think the JH13 is better than the Stax. That says a lot for the JH13.

I am quite sure I will get me the SR-007's before I even think of getting the JH13's though. And Larry, if you decide to sell your MK1 by the end of the year, just let me know...... I might be interested.....

Well, I'm toying with the idea of selling the WA6 and GES to fund snatching up a used a KGBH SE when the first one comes up for sale used (or maybe a WES, depending how the final version turns out).

The other option is adding a KGSS for the O2 Mk1 while I keep my GES for the Jade, HE60, Smegma Pro, SR-Lambda, SR-5 gold edition, and SR-003.

Third option is finding someone I can pay to build my KGBH PCB's into a complete amp (that works). Fourth option is if Spritzer makes some aftermarket pro-bias transformer boxes with custom high quality transformers inside, that I could buy a more powerful speaker amp to drive.

Well, I'm toying with the idea of selling the WA6 and GES to fund snatching up a used a KGBH SE when the first one comes up for sale used (or maybe a WES, depending how the final version turns out).

The other option is adding a KGSS for the O2 Mk1 while I keep my GES for the Jade, HE60, Smegma Pro, SR-Lambda, SR-5 gold edition, and SR-003.

Third option is finding someone I can pay to build my KGBH PCB's into a complete amp (that works). Fourth option is if Spritzer makes some aftermarket pro-bias transformer boxes with custom high quality transformers inside, that I could buy a more powerful speaker amp to drive.

Go for the KGSS and sell the rest of the stat rig except the O2. Use that cash toward other cool stuff (like a new source, for example).