The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Well after a long time emailing back and forth, I succeed in persuading the guys at Ishino Labs to build me the Master BA-215T @ US voltage. However, the price would bump up to ~2,500$ shipped and there would be no warranty/return (!!).

That makes me have second thought. I haven't read any review about this amp. Is it worth the price tag? Finding a used KGSS makes me more and more impatient.

Headamp still makes the KGSS and for less than the Ishino Labs amp.

Well after a long time emailing back and forth, I succeed in persuading the guys at Ishino Labs to build me the Master BA-215T @ US voltage. However, the price would bump up to ~2,500$ shipped and there would be no warranty/return (!!).

That makes me have second thought. I haven't read any review about this amp. Is it worth the price tag? Finding a used KGSS makes me more and more impatient.

Man, for the price difference, you can get a 220V unit (or what have you) and buy a PS Audio P300 to power it. No voltage issues, full warranty.

The Master is just a basic EL34 push-pull amp with a Stax socket/bias supply bolted to it. The signal is taken off the OPT primaries and fed through some caps/resistors before reaching the Stax socket. This is a great solution if you are looking for an EL34 speaker amp and just happen to have some Stax sets hanging about but if that isn't the case, you'd be better off with a dedicated amp.

Edited by spritzer

The 717 does sound like it has some slight "tubey" colorations to me - slightly warmed-up tone color, somewhat laid-back presentation, slightly diffuse and overly airy soundstage, and is a bit rolled-off on both ends. Very slight colorations in all cases though and it is close to neutral, but not quite neutral. Mostly straight wire with gain but with a little bit of tube color thrown in.

I do like the warm tone color, but it needs to be less laid-back and polite for the 007. But for $900 or whatever it's an amazing bargain; it would still be a good buy for twice the price new. I would love to have an amp that's voiced in a similar way but with more power and a slightly more forward presentation.

Compared to what? I mean, it's very difficult to be sure that those things you're taking as colorations aren't somewhere in the upfront components or the own headphones character. I don't mean the 717 is perfect, but I wouldn't say it's a warm amp on itself compared to the performance of the B22/SRD-7 combo, nor have I noticed roll offs to speak of.

Once you've lived with a BH then those traits are easy to spot. I quite like them though and for the price the 717 is a steal to say the least. The reason for the sound has to be partially the PSU and that it is why I've been wondering about simple CRC psu's instead of fancy regulated units.

It could be the source, of course. But I've owned a fair number of Stax amps (313, 007t, 717, McAlister heap, SRD-7 Pro with various speaker amps tube and SS) and used a fair number of sources with them (Rega, 840c, Opus 21, various DACs) as well as a fair number of phones (007, 007mk2, 303, 404, 003, Gamma Pro modded), so I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I did direct comparisons though of course they weren't true ABX tests and memory is faulty. The 717's basic sound signature remains as a coloration on top of whatever source you're listening to and whatever phones you're listening with. It is a subtle coloration and the amp is more neutral than not but it's not perfect. I do like its sort of sound though.

Yeah, that's the point, the warmth and roll off are so subtle that don't make it a flaw nor convert it into a warm amp generally speaking IMHO, which was the impression I got from your comment ;D It's with difference the most neutral Stax amp I've listened to, and also in the same range of low coloration as the own B22, provided the SRD7 isn't considered a colored adapter hehehe. Using dynamic cans I wouldn't say the B22 is colored either.

Yeah, that's the point, the warmth and roll off are so subtle that don't make it a flaw nor convert it into a warm amp generally speaking IMHO, which was the impression I got from your comment ;D It's with difference the most neutral Stax amp I've listened to, and also in the same range of low coloration as the own B22, provided the SRD7 isn't considered a colored adapter hehehe. Using dynamic cans I wouldn't say the B22 is colored either.

I never said it was a warm amp. It is a mostly neutral amp with a bit of warmth and tube flavor.

SRD-7 adds colorations too, as does whatever speaker amp you're running it from. The O2 is brutally revealing and colorations that would be inaudible on lesser phones are very clearly audible with the O2. Now this could be placebo, etc, blah blah blah and I'm definitely open to that idea. But I think I understand why people go on DAC and source-swapping binges after they get the O2. Every component sounds different. I'm only safe from the swapping madness since I can't really afford to indulge in it fully, but it would be a lie to say that I'm 100% happy with my source as it is (Opus 21), and it is still the best source I've ever had (but not ever heard).

Well, at some point you must have heard something that isn't colored, otherwise you wouldn't be so sure there's a coloration there ;) It's true the O2 are very revealing and transparent, but they aren't cured from having their own character. Wait, or is it the amp? or the source? ;D

I'd say the SR-007's main character is to be unimpressive which is very impressive at the same time. They aren't trying to force some given "sound" down your throat since their character changes on a dime with the music they are playing at that moment. This is why the Mk2/A annoys me so much since Stax should have taken this design a step further and not introduced some, quite frankly, stupid colorations on what was a pretty much blank canvas.

This is very true. The SR-007 portrays music without inducing any signature imo. The HE-90 for example imposes a diffused airy sound on any recording that is played through it. This makes music a lot less dynamic for me hearing the same soundstage and and a little annoying. I dont like hearing the same soundstage/diffused sound on all the music I play through them. The SR-007 from my perspective does not create any set "boundaries." Recordings can sound both small and large, but the music is always comes without any set boundary. I still love the HE-90 even though I much prefer the O2.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally pulled off the O2 pads to see what was causing the sliding/squealing noise that would occur when I would tilt my head from side to side with them on (the sound was not audible with the phones off even with my ear right on the outside of the cup).There was a coiled wire that would secure the ear pad to center of the baffle (in addition to the lip of the ear pad that wrapped around the perimeter of the baffle).The wire lines the inside of the pad and then bridges to the center of the baffle before it bends at 90 degrees to anchor into a small grommet.The wire simply needed to be pressed in a bit so that the grommet can hold it properly,I suspect that it was sliding at that point.Getting the pads back on took about 5 mins thanks to the nice technique shared by Deadneddz :dan:

Now all I hear is sweet O2 goodness^-^

Thanks for all the help guys,

Yogi