The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Certainly seems to be that way given they use it as a reference in the frequency response and THD specs.

It is intended as a partner amp for the SR-404LE but they always do that with the stat's

Carl wondered if STAX are simply running out of their Ei 6CG7s and redesigned the 006t to use tubes that are still in production.

EH still makes them so that shouldn't be an issue. The ECC99 is a much better tube for the job though...

Did anyone here ever tried powering a SRD-7 setup using a Gainclone amp? I'm considering cheap DIY solutions right now because I'm on a short budget and it seems a Gainclone would be more than enough spec-wise for a Stax setup.

You might think about the Trends TA-10, I've heard that little amp on drp's stat rig and it does remarkably well. I think they're ~$180.

Go for the KGSS and sell the rest of the stat rig except the O2. Use that cash toward other cool stuff (like a new source, for example).

Well, I would have to hear the KGSS/O2 before I would think of selling off any of the other stat rig.

What source would you recommend for the KGSS/O2 combo other than me sending my PS Audio for the Cullen mods that I was planning on?

You might think about the Trends TA-10, I've heard that little amp on drp's stat rig and it does remarkably well. I think they're ~$180.

You've pretty much described my bedroom rig. Trends TA 10.1 -- SRD-6SB -- lambda Normal. The energizer and cabling is hidden, so all you see are some weird-ass waffle headphones and a turny knob. Pretty straight-forward.

I think it sounds phenomenal, though i changed out a few caps. highly recommended, for the price.

What source would you recommend for the KGSS/O2 combo other than me sending my PS Audio for the Cullen mods that I was planning on?

Ayre QB-9, Bel Canto DAC3, Electrocompaniet ECD-1, or North Star M192 MKI, etc, at a minimum I'd guess. Or maybe the HeadRoom Ultra DAC. It's time for you to get a serious source to go with your serious amps.

How curious. While I realize that similar DAC chips often result in wildly different actual DACs, you're welcome to have a listen to my Peachtree Nova DAC (9006), Larry, to see how it gels with the rest of your gear. If you like it, a good direction would be a Buffalo or the Ultra DAC.

How curious. While I realize that similar DAC chips often result in wildly different actual DACs, you're welcome to have a listen to my Peachtree Nova DAC (9006), Larry, to see how it gels with the rest of your gear. If you like it, a good direction would be a Buffalo or the Ultra DAC.

Ayre QB-9, Bel Canto DAC3, Electrocompaniet ECD-1, or North Star M192 MKI, etc, at a minimum I'd guess. Or maybe the HeadRoom Ultra DAC. It's time for you to get a serious source to go with your serious amps.

I'll keep those in mind. The Ultra DAC seems interesting. Why not a Neko DAC? Sherwood I liked your ECD-1 for the sound but not the size, why did you sell it for the Peachtree Nova?

Does everyone else also feel doing the Cullen mods to my PS Audio DLIII wont make the grade? Even while stock it's on about the level of the Stello DA1000 signature, and slightly above my Apogee mini-DAC when paired with my GES and ZDT. I thought that was good enough.

Sherwood I liked your ECD-1 for the sound but not the size, why did you sell it for the Peachtree Nova?

Mostly because it sounds better. None of them are wider than a rack space, though, so they should all fit anywhere your GES would.

The ECD-1 was/is a great DAC, but for the price I think better can be had. It's probably in the top 10%, nonetheless.

If you decide to do the Cullen mod business (which is apparently good stuff), I'd sell your existing unit as stock and buy a modded one. Saves about $100 and a few weeks. You're shipping something and having something shipped to you either way.

Mostly because it sounds better. None of them are wider than a rack space, though, so they should all fit anywhere your GES would.

The ECD-1 was/is a great DAC, but for the price I think better can be had. It's probably in the top 10%, nonetheless.

If you decide to do the Cullen mod business (which is apparently good stuff), I'd sell your existing unit as stock and buy a modded one. Saves about $100 and a few weeks. You're shipping something and having something shipped to you either way.

Thanks for the advice.

Paste? Is it soft or hard? Does the assembly flex with the other 2 screws out? If you take the normal 3 screws out the two halfs will rotate one inside the other as they fit together by recess.

I can't rotate the halfs with the other two screws out. Its like there's another screw (screwed on quite tightly) underneath the white stuff.

The paste is relatively soft.