The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I haven't added it, I do have the parts on order though. In the meantime I was shunting straight through. I love the sound but don't want to kill my baby so until I hear back from amb with whatever sage advice he may (or may not) offer, I'll hold off the 'stats for now.

Just got a reply from Ti

IME it should work fine, but I have not personally tried doing that. Zobel is recommended, no other protection should be necessary.

-Ti

Edited by Smeggy

Pretty sure (99%) that the Zobel is on the e22 backplane board on Torpedo's amp.

Thanks Nate, I was quite sure you had installed it if it's recommended to drive speakers.

Smeggy, will you install a zobel then? Maybe you can add one on the jack adapter you built. Seems easier than putting it inside.

I will install the zobel, where is not decided yet.

I still have a way to go before finalizing all the stuff in there, the Dyna boards still have to go in whenever they're done and I also wanted to put the Stax and Sony adapters inside the case. I'll have to see what's actually practical though as I measure it all out. it is a big-ass case.

I feel like I missed something - in almost 2 years I've never heard of a zobel or why stax transformers would be a problem for an amp like Beta 22. It's like I'm a newbie all over again.

Can someone explain this in a little more detail, and say when we need to be more careful or concerned in matching an amp to a transformer box?

As far as I can make out, It's basically to do with the Beta potentially becoming unstable with inductive loads like some speakers present and a zobel is like a signal bleed and load stabilizer for awkward speaker loads.

I want to run transformers and didn't know if they presented a potentially destabilizing inductance like speakers can and if so would a zobel network suffice as protection.

It's a very basic thing, only two parts.

Well I finally figured out an acceptable DIY headband, cut the cable and resoldered it about 2 ft down. So I am getting my first real stax listen (Central Station> Adcom GFA 1> SRD7 > Lambda) and am really enjoying it. Quick question though, I removed all that crappy foam in back and ripped / took out the thin (mylar?) piece between the driver and grate, should I replace that one?

Edit: I think I will start actually using headphones over my speakers now.

If these are the normal bias Lambdas, which seems to be the case, you also really should consider damping the drivers. There is some very open foam you removed, and since you mentioned removing the dust covers, you almost certainly also took out the damping pad. I really did not enjoy my SR-Lambda undamped, but love it with the stock (or approximately) damping material. I guess it is even worse for you, as that dust cover should be providing some additional damping.

On another note, I got my first really good listen to my new Lambda Sigs. I have to say, I am not hearing the love. Damn things are too bright for me, in such a way that I would probably put them last right now of all of my electrostatics. Bass is also disappointing.

Well I finally figured out an acceptable DIY headband, cut the cable and resoldered it about 2 ft down. So I am getting my first real stax listen (Central Station> Adcom GFA 1> SRD7 > Lambda) and am really enjoying it. Quick question though, I removed all that crappy foam in back and ripped / took out the thin (mylar?) piece between the driver and grate, should I replace that one?

Edit: I think I will start actually using headphones over my speakers now.

:palm: Why did you rip/took out the mylar dust cover?

:palm: Why did you rip/took out the mylar dust cover?

It was ripped when I got it. I made a syran wrap cover for it now on monday I will try to do the mylar.

If these are the normal bias Lambdas, which seems to be the case, you also really should consider damping the drivers.

Any suggestions as to how to dampen it? I have some loose cotton and felt I will try once I get the dust covers on. I just added one of the jmoney grado leather headbands onto the frame... looks good.

It was ripped when I got it. I made a syran wrap cover for it now on monday I will try to do the mylar.

Any suggestions as to how to dampen it? I have some loose cotton and felt I will try once I get the dust covers on. I just added one of the jmoney grado leather headbands onto the frame... looks good.

Ahhh, sorry to hear this. Replace it as it's the only real protection from dust and particles your headphones have. Stax dampens Lambdas with mineral wool, it looks lighter and fluffier than cotton.

Ahhh, sorry to hear this. Replace it as it's the only real protection from dust and particles your headphones have. Stax dampens Lambdas with mineral wool, it looks lighter and fluffier than cotton.

I will be on the look out for mineral wool. In the mean time my father brought home his mylar film. It is certainly very thin but it is red and seems to be different than what was there before. It can't be torn (which is another thing that makes me suspicious), needing to be cut to work. Is this in any way suitable?

edit: :palm: its the cover. Will report back later.

edit2: it is certainly not the same stuff. I will have to order some I guess.