The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Quick q: If there is a small gap between the driver and the metal baffle, would this basically be bass reflex? I'm trying to understand the bass I'm getting out of the L Sig.

In a way yes but the key to good bass from planars is to employ an infinite baffle (or as close to it as you can with speakers) as backwave cancellation is is the big problem here.

In a way yes but the key to good bass from planars is to employ an infinite baffle (or as close to it as you can with speakers) as backwave cancellation is is the big problem here.

I was just wondering if I possibly didn't stick the driver to the baffle completely tightly, causing a bit of rumble in the low bass. I think I was just hearing things. As to the infinite baffle approach, do you think putting some fiberglass behind the drivers like in the Lambda and Lambda Pro would help?

I was just wondering if I possibly didn't stick the driver to the baffle completely tightly, causing a bit of rumble in the low bass. I think I was just hearing things. As to the infinite baffle approach, do you think putting some fiberglass behind the drivers like in the Lambda and Lambda Pro would help?

Infinite baffle = sealing earpads with no ports.

The point of infinite baffle is that the backwave can never interact with the frontwave. In the speaker world, there are people who use a wall of their house as the baffle, with the speaker tightly sealed to a cutout in said wall. Front of the speaker goes into the listening room, back either outside or into some other area of the house.