The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I may be buying this setup. Anyone have any opinions?

Mark is an outstanding individual, and has acquired and liquidated quite a bit of Stax gear recently, so he should be pretty accurate in what he is asking $$$ wise. I would wager this is pretty well in the range for what he has actually paid for all this within the past year. Negotiation is always part of the deal, but I believe this to be market, not fire sale or disposition at all costs pricing.

I do also agree with your valuation breakdown, as that is more or less what I would pay for each, were I in the market for those pieces.

Mark is an outstanding individual, and has acquired and liquidated quite a bit of Stax gear recently, so he should be pretty accurate in what he is asking $$$ wise. I would wager this is pretty well in the range for what he has actually paid for all this within the past year. Negotiation is always part of the deal, but I believe this to be market, not fire sale or disposition at all costs pricing.

I do also agree with your valuation breakdown, as that is more or less what I would pay for each, were I in the market for those pieces.

Thanks. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Al, did you catch the bug from Gene as well? Cool looking rig. I may have for the meet as well.

Thanks. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Al, did you catch the bug from Gene as well? Cool looking rig. I may have for the meet as well.

I had been considering a relatively inexpensive Stax rig to try out the electrostatic option in more depth than just hearing other people's rigs. I think Gene snatching up a new top of the line rig put me over the edge, however. I am looking forward to hearing the new O2 setup in Mayberry but also want to hear these Lambdas with the better amp to hear the differences.

Despite Nate's pushing, I didn't step over the edge, yet. Plaid's (Mark's) Lamda Pro/007t should be on its way to me tomorrow. This will allow me to pick up the new O2's if I want and I will have an amp for them while I wait to see what Justin comes up with next year.

I got 1 step closer today to the new Stax amps for next year...received a prototype of the heatsink that will be for the sides of the chassis. its going to be a heavy one

newheatsink.jpg

Very nice Justin. Anodize them black, slap on a silver front panel and it could be mistaken for a Pass Labs amp. Are you going to do any work on the KGSS circuit besides altering the layout, new PSU etc.?

The current sources will be replaced with the IXYS parts in the amp & PSU, and I might try a few other devices that KG has suggested for the output devices. The 1st 2 stages will become a small surface mount module, with 2sa1156 replaced with the higher voltage 2sa1413. the 2sk389 will be the lsk389 from linear systems