The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I also installed a set of all-Siemens tubes in the Aristaeus and adjusted the bias settings.

Whoa, it sounds a lot better now! I didn't expect this much improvement. So I was listening to a "crappy Aristaeus" before.

I thought it was good before, but now even the Airbow SR-SC1 is arguably better than the W5000. I'm using the Airbow in case I did something wrong and the amp blows up the headphones.

I can't wait to try the SR-Omega and SR-007.

Ok, I think I should dip my toes in the electrostatic pool. The only one I tried are the baby stax (Stax SR-001 MKII), and they were ok, but I havent tried any full size electrostatic heaphones for an extended amount of time, nor do I have an electrostatic amp.

Any suggestions under $200? or is $200 too little :(

Ok, I think I should dip my toes in the electrostatic pool. The only one I tried are the baby stax (Stax SR-001 MKII), and they were ok, but I havent tried any full size electrostatic heaphones for an extended amount of time, nor do I have an electrostatic amp.

If you can find one, an aristaeus and he90 is great for under $200.

Try to find a Lambda, any Lambda. I have found a few for well under 200$ but the market has heated up recently.

I heard the aristeus with he90 at the DC meet last July and came away pretty unimpressed...of course, meet impressions are meet impressions ;D

At the same meet I heard the OII and came away from the meet knowing either the K1k or OII would be the place I'd eventually settle as for my main can. The K1k has come and gone, so I'm guessing the OII is in my future, somewhere down the line.

I heard the aristeus with he90 at the DC meet last July and came away pretty unimpressed...of course, meet impressions are meet impressions ;D

At the same meet I heard the OII and came away from the meet knowing either the K1k or OII would be the place I'd eventually settle as for my main can. The K1k has come and gone, so I'm guessing the OII is in my future, somewhere down the line.

You remember what the source on that aristaeus/he90 rig was don't you? :b

:(

Well, if you want to unload anything for cheap, you know who to PM ;)

Sure do!

neilvg loaned me spritzer's former Lambda Sigs and they are the clear winners over the Lambda Pro. I haven't had enough time to compare closely but from the first listen I preferred the Sigs. Oh well, I guess I should have bought them before Neil when I had the chance... :stick:

Not like I didn't warn you... ;)

You should really buy a SR-003 for testing duty. This is no way to treat a 800$ headphone...

What tubes were you using before the Siemens? I have a few sets of tubes for the Aristaeus ready here so I really should build one soon.

I know, I know. The main thing is that it's under warranty. I don't really have a need for a test headphone, though, I don't know how to do any testing besides adjusting tube biasing.

A set of Sylvania ECL86 and a pair of JJ ECC83 came with the amp. I swapped them all with Telefunkens, but couldn't adjust bias because I didn't have a multimeter. The Telefunkens were an improvement but I switched back to the initial set to wait until I could adjust their bias.

The Siemens set recently arrived and I couldn't resist trying them based on others' recommendations. I also have Mullard and Philips ECL86 as well as various ECC83 and 5751 tubes.

I know, I know. The main thing is that it's under warranty. I don't really have a need for a test headphone, though, I don't know how to do any testing besides adjusting tube biasing.

A set of Sylvania ECL86 and a pair of JJ ECC83 came with the amp. I swapped them all with Telefunkens, but couldn't adjust bias because I didn't have a multimeter. The Telefunkens were an improvement but I switched back to the initial set to wait until I could adjust their bias.

The Siemens set recently arrived and I couldn't resist trying them based on others' recommendations. I also have Mullard and Philips ECL86 as well as various ECC83 and 5751 tubes.

:o JJ ECC83....?? No wonder it sounded bad. I don't like Telefunken, period, since they are way too warm and mushy. Siemens and Mullard are the way to go but Amperex could also be a good option.

Btw. When are you going to have Justin upgrade those coupling caps? Some Mundorf Gold caps would be a huge upgrade and much more stable then the stock Solen caps.

neilvg loaned me spritzer's former Lambda Sigs and they are the clear winners over the Lambda Pro. I haven't had enough time to compare closely but from the first listen I preferred the Sigs. Oh well, I guess I should have bought them before Neil when I had the chance... :stick:

The Lambda Pro didn't convinced me.

The Lambda Signature certainly has. Gigantic improvement.

I haven't used a dynamic headphone in over two months.