The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just got the KGSS today after waiting for the post office to deliver it for a week.

First impressions (and this is with no real warm up; I just plugged the O2 in and started listening): this is a highly resolving combo, and it does so in a way that is not pushy.

Example: I just listened to "All My Friends" on LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver album. On my HD650s, I could tell that in the beginning, he uses two pianos, but on the HD650s, there's no depth that separates them, and they sound about the same volume-wise. On the O2 + KGSS system, I could clearly hear that he mixed one piano way farther back than the other one; not only that, he plays one piano much louder than the other one.

So, I just got the KGSS today after waiting for the post office to deliver it for a week.

First impressions (and this is with no real warm up; I just plugged the O2 in and started listening): this is a highly resolving combo, and it does so in a way that is not pushy.

Example: I just listened to "All My Friends" on LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver album. On my HD650s, I could tell that in the beginning, he uses two pianos, but on the HD650s, there's no depth that separates them, and they sound about the same volume-wise. On the O2 + KGSS system, I could clearly hear that he mixed one piano way farther back than the other one; not only that, he plays one piano much louder than the other one.

Can you play some hard rock/metal and tell us how it holds up (NIN The Downward Spiral, RatM, Porcupine Tree, etc)? Thanks man

A good session with Megadeth on the SR-007 makes you forsake all other phones... >:D

I'll have to try that right now. :prettyprincess:

My Omega II also came in yesterday. Currently I'm powering it with the 840A via an SRD-7/Professional.

So without further ado, here is my official review of the Omega Deuce.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A REVIEW AFTER 4 HOURS OF OWNERSHIP

A madman is one who is 'crazy as hell son'

postjack: 'hell yeah boy'

This phone is kickass yall.

I have finally come to the end of this essay. Have a good day, everyone. I'll be taking a

sabbatical from head-case after this exhausting write up. I'm going into the mountains

to like fucking meditate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you play some hard rock/metal and tell us how it holds up (NIN The Downward Spiral, RatM, Porcupine Tree, etc)? Thanks man

Just listened to "Starfuckers Inc." on The Fragile to test how fast the attack is on the O2, since there's a ton of bass transients on that track. The result: the fastest attack I've ever heard in a headphone. This can definitely rock out.

Just listened to "Starfuckers Inc." on The Fragile to test how fast the attack is on the O2, since there's a ton of bass transients on that track. The result: the fastest attack I've ever heard in a headphone. This can definitely rock out.

Homework assignment for you two:

[me=deepak]asks newly minted sr-007 owners to listen to The Fragile (title track) and Just Like You Imagined (complex song)[/me]

btw congrats, super jealous, I really need a main headphone rig :rant:

Per spritzer's suggestion, I put on some Megadeth, specifically the MFSL remix of Countdown To Extinction. The distorted guitars and Mustaine's vocals are as realistic and satisfying as I've ever heard with headphones. The cans also sound great at moderate volume, I definitely don't have to crank them to get bass impact and midrange joy. Having said that, they are definitely crankable if thats what I feel like doing. ;)

I've been working a bit with pad rotation. I initially tried them like I read spritzer and duggeh do in another thread, with the seam pointing at the temple at a high angle, but right now I'm finding better bass quantity with the seam running right below my eye. I'm not sure if it'll be necessary for me to bend the headband at all, as my head is big, and I think I've got the driver angle spot on.

deepak: I actually don't currently own a copy of The Fragile :'(. I did just listen to In Rainbows and it was phenomenal. So thats kind of the same thing, right?

1) The Fragile: on the bass specifically, I have to say again that the resolution on the O2s are amazing. The drum and the bass line are kept separate, and if you so choose, you can focus on whichever you like without effort. Second, these things go looow, lower than my sub, which is -3db at 22Hz. Impact is phenomenal, but even if it goes lower than my sub, I don't get the full-body experience, which is weird, because my brain is telling me that the O2s go lower, but it doesn't "feel" that way, if you know what I mean.

I think the KGSS should be on top...it probably generates more heat than the Stello

Thanks for the advice; the only reason I put it on bottom is because it's actually longer than the Stello, but if heat's a concern, then I'll put it back on top.

While you are here Justin: if I set both pots to maximum, is that effectively no attenutation? I like my Stello as a pre-amp, and plus it has a remote, so it's much easier to adjust the volume that way.