The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Fixed that for you. ;D

Haha, nice! In my case I think I've spent enough money transporting large lumps of iron and copper across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans for the time being. My problem is not the building but actually getting all the parts together in one place. Considering there's only a handful of them needed in a transformer box I really shouldn't be taking as long as I have. :-[

The Lundahl transformers should be quite good but there are other options such as the what this guy sells.

Haha, nice! In my case I think I've spent enough money transporting large lumps of iron and copper across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans for the time being. My problem is not the building but actually getting all the parts together in one place. Considering there's only a handful of them needed in a transformer box I really shouldn't be taking as long as I have. :-[

Just get some 16AWG solid core silver wire and connect them up. Leech the bias from some other amp and you are all set.

Just get some 16AWG solid core silver wire and connect them up. Leech the bias from some other amp and you are all set.

I've been tempted to do that a few times but then my tendency to want to do things properly tells me if I do that I'll never finish it off. I'm trying to use the eventual auditory bliss I'll get from it as a motivation to do the work. Of course that means if after all that it sounds terrible then I'll probably feel like this.

:kitty:

I've been tempted to do that a few times but then my tendency to want to do things properly tells me if I do that I'll never finish it off. I'm trying to use the eventual auditory bliss I'll get from it as a motivation to do the work. Of course that means if after all that it sounds terrible then I'll probably feel like this.

:kitty:

You worry too much. :D The transformers are great so it should be a good step up from both the SRD's and the Illusion.

OK, I literally read through all 58 pages of this thread. (the only other thread here I've more methodically or intently read through in entirety is in Off Topic > Slow Forum...seriously).

JUST when I am settling in with my Almarro/K1000 combo, 'stats - in particular the the OII -- starting to peak my interest. Almarro/K1000 ain't going anywhere anytime soon, but a few questions:

1. what are OII's strengths vs. K1000, and vice versa?

2. would OII system be complimentary to or redundant to K1000 system?

OK, I literally read through all 58 pages of this thread. (the only other thread here I've more methodically or intently read through in entirety is in Off Topic > Slow Forum...seriously).

JUST when I am settling in with my Almarro/K1000 combo, 'stats - in particular the the OII -- starting to peak my interest. Almarro/K1000 ain't going anywhere anytime soon, but a few questions:

1. what are OII's strengths vs. K1000, and vice versa?

If you like the sound signature of K1000, you won't like the OII. They are almost opposite of each other. If you find K1000 way too immediate, literal, forward, or bright and very bass shy, then OII is your man.

2. would OII system be complimentary to or redundant to K1000 system?

See above. IMO, a dynamic and a 'stat can never be "redundant" to each other b/c the essence of the presentation is fundamentally different. One other thing, unless you're Spritzer (possibly even a future Spritzer when he finally builds his uber amp), your chances of hearing OII properly driven is nil to zero :)

One other thing, unless you're Spritzer (possibly even a future Spritzer when he finally builds his uber amp), your chances of hearing OII properly driven is nil to zero :)

I'd like to hear the future Spritzer's uber amp now. Time travel is so tedious when it only moves forward at the snail's pace of one second at a time. :)

Maybe the SRM-T2 would qualify as an "acceptable" amp for the O2, but I don't think anyone "we know" has heard one.

I'd like to hear the future Spritzer's uber amp now. Time travel is so tedious when it only moves forward at the snail's pace of one second at a time. :)

Maybe the SRM-T2 would qualify as an "acceptable" amp for the O2, but I don't think anyone "we know" has heard one.

I'm working on it!! :D I'm going to order some custom made transformers soon and find somebody to laser cut 4mm copper sheets. The tubes are in the mail so I am working on it...

The T2 is a bunch of good ideas thrown in with some bad ones. I do think it will be on par with a stock Blue Hawaii with basic parts but after that it should be surpassed. I'm going to buy one when I find it but it's not a matter of life and death or anything like that.